Trip Report May 1-3

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Trip Report May 1-3

Post by RikWriter »

I arrived in Bozeman 1:30PM Saturday and after a trip to Walmart to stock up, headed for the park. Stopped at the bison carcass on the Madison and waited for an hour but then had to go check into my room.
The next morning, I went back to the carcass. Ran into a lot of friends and acquaintances, but the wolves didn't show up after 5 hours and I left. A grizzly did approach once but just walked away back into the trees and I barely saw it.
I went back to my room and took a nap, then went into the Lamar. Saw a black bear up a hill near Phantom Lake, but didn't stop. Then I saw a cinnamon black bear up near the NE entrance and got a few pics before it wandered up the hill.
I have a chest cold and I was feeling lousy this morning so I slept in and decided to just rest until after lunch. After lunch, I headed out to the Lamar. Saw some bighorn rams near the Confluence. Found a fox near the NE entrance before I ate dinner in Cooke City. Then I came back and found a black bear in the ditch just past the Yellowstone River bridge. Went out the old Yellowstone Road and saw loads of elk, deer and antelope.

karenandbill

Re: Trip Report May 1-3

Post by karenandbill »

Hey Rik, We were at the bison carcass as well. We did get to see the wolf there Thursday night and Friday morning. Stopped by a couple more times and haven't seen anything including today. At least you got a glimpse of the grizzly. Sounds like you have seen some cool stuff otherwise. Any luck with the wolves by the den at Slough? They have been seen, but a long way out. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

So glad you were able to make it out here. How long are you out for? Hope you are feeling better.

--Bill

Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the report, and I sure hope your cold is short-lived so you can enjoy your trip! We’ll be there the end of next week and will look forward to more of your reports to keep us current.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

karenandbill wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 pm
Hey Rik, We were at the bison carcass as well. We did get to see the wolf there Thursday night and Friday morning. Stopped by a couple more times and haven't seen anything including today. At least you got a glimpse of the grizzly. Sounds like you have seen some cool stuff otherwise. Any luck with the wolves by the den at Slough? They have been seen, but a long way out. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

So glad you were able to make it out here. How long are you out for? Hope you are feeling better.

--Bill
I saw a wolf 2 miles away in Little America. People are lined up at Slough looking through scopes, but there's never any room to park because the dirt road is still closed. I will be in the parks until the 16th.