In Park Update

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

In Park Update

Post by Mike »

Greetings from Mammoth, been in the park 3 days now, weather has been quite nice with the high 60s at Mammoth and a little bit cooler in the valley. Terrain seems very very dry for this time of year the bison are calving saw mother with two babies lack of elk very very thin even inside of mammoth lots of bears mostly grizzly off of coyote at Slough Creek at footbridge. A few black bears phantom lake Helll roaring. Wolves active at the den site also saw a gray at midpoint and a black yearling at footbridge who crossed soda Butte Creek and went up towards druid den site. Good moose action as usual at Pebble Creek. The camping situation at Mammoth is bad it is booked solid and tomorrow Saturday everyone will be evicted due to reservation system going into place if you're not here at 10:00 you will not get a spot if you do not have a reservation. As for entering from the north there is a lot of construction they're putting in new kiosks and the road has been torn out and there's some major construction so expect delays entering from Gardiner Montana. Will post more information if anything special comes along full trip report when I get back with pictures

karenandbill

Re: In Park Update

Post by karenandbill »

Thanks for the update. Good for you seeing some bears. Bill has only seen one and it doesn't really count as it was a grizzly dot through someone's scope wayyyy out there. Heading down to the Tetons tomorrow so we are hoping for some bear sightings there. However, It has been a great start for wolf sightings and will post when we get time.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Thanks for the update, Mike. I almost went to the Park for a few days but decided to stay home because of the bad weather that was supposed to move in last night. Today it's very cold and raining. Bad weather doesn't affect the wildlife, so I hope you'll be blessed with lots of great photo ops while you're in the Park. BTW, I called our senator's office to file a complaint about the new Yellowstone campsite reservation system. I don't find anything good about it. Not sure if anything can be done at this point. All I can say is that it breaks my heart to see Yellowstone being turned into a big amusement park. :(

Mike

Post by Mike »

Today was spectacular,temps went from 30,s to 70,s bear viewing was very góod blacks near road but grizz are still far out except those on carcasses.elk still up in Paradise Valley but showing up more every day.Today it really looked like the American Serengeti,bison filled the Lamar from one end to the other.Around noon time the gate to Slough was opened up ,at first I wondered where all the cars had gone till I drove by,was not expecting the gates to be opened.was able to get some good wolf shots out by the old picnic area,two blacks and a gray.seen just about every kind of critter including multiple foxes,badger and all the big animals.Tomrrow its off to Hayden for the first time.

Word of warning,Gardnier entrance is all torn up traffic pattern changes daily and no pavement,flagman but the waits are less than 10 minutes.There is major construction at Roosevelt,semi trucks with double trailers are streaming from there to Gardiner all day,stay on your toes driving

Going to cancel the Teton part of the trip as they are booked up full :(