NPS Campgrounds

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Hike Yellowstone

NPS Campgrounds

Post by Hike Yellowstone »

Has anyone heard if the NPS Campgrounds are going to open this year....Slough, Pebble, Norris, Indian Creek, etc.....?

karenandbill

Re: NPS Campgrounds

Post by karenandbill »

I know that Mammoth, Madison, and Bridge Bay are open. Not sure about any others. With the spike going on in Idaho and Montana, they may hold off opening others.

liv4mtns

Post by liv4mtns »

karenandbill wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 pm
I know that Mammoth, Madison, and Bridge Bay are open. Not sure about any others. With the spike going on in Idaho and Montana, they may hold off opening others.
karenandbill, Mammoth is definitely open correct? Last I checked online it still showed "to be determined"

Kevin.

Hike Yellowstone

I just received this response after I emailed to inquire about the Campgrounds.

Good afternoon,

Slough Creek campground as well as all of the first come, first serve campgrounds within the park are currently closed with no definitive opening dates. There are 6 campground operated by the parks partnering concession company that are open for reservation only camping. you can view more information at Yellowstonenationalparklodges.com

Regards,

Christopher Eddy
Seasonal Park Ranger
Albright Visitor Center
Yellowstone National Park

Hike Yellowstone

I did not inquire what 6 campgrounds he was thinking of....must be a typo as aren’t there just 4 run by Xanterra? Bridge Bay, Grant, Canyon and Madison. Of course Fishing Bridge as well but it is was planned to be closed in 2020 anyway. Someone said earlier that Mammoth and Pebble Creek had host campers on site so maybe that is what he is referring to.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

I drove up Slough Creek road on June 27, and it looked like people were set up to camp. Maybe they were just there for the day.

cameraman

Post by cameraman »

As of yesterday Noon Mammoth, Slough Creek and Pebble Creek were closed. The first two have had camper host rv's in them for about a week now. But the campgrounds were closed. This is the case for all campgrounds run by the NPS that are on first come first in basis.

liv4mtns

Post by liv4mtns »

cameraman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 am
As of yesterday Noon Mammoth, Slough Creek and Pebble Creek were closed. The first two have had camper host rv's in them for about a week now. But the campgrounds were closed. This is the case for all campgrounds run by the NPS that are on first come first in basis.

Thanks for the up to the minute info cameraman. Still wonder if Mammoth will open at all.

Kevin.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

Camped at Grant Friday night and Signal Mountain in the GTNP Saturday night. Still just the 4 Xanterra CG's open in Yellowstone. Every Park employee I talked to had no idea when the rest would open. On the bright side gas was just $2.18 at Colter Bay.