Harriman and Henry's Lake Idaho

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Re: Harriman and Henry's Lake Idaho

Post by karenandbill »

mdtrot wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am
Did you see any wildlife while on that road? That would be my goal.
We actually walked part of the paved section beyond where they plowed in April and didn't see anything except lots of moose poop. Talked to a guy that apparently lived along the road and he asked if we had seen any bears so they must be around.

Did have three bull elk run across the road once, but I believe that was on the unpaved section. Saw a beautiful western tanager in a tree the first time we drove the road. We were able to get some decent photos from our car. We have also seen deer several times.

It is great wildlife habitat, but two things work against seeing animals. There is some noisy 4-wheel traffic, but that is usually on the unpaved section and I'm sure animals are hunted out there. It is a pretty drive even if you don't see much wildlife. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

It's definately not Yellowstone, but from someone who lives in Island Park, ID and worked and lived in Yellowstone NP for 5 years, other than Grizzles and Wolves (which you have a better opportunity to photograph there), I find more wildlife to photograph here. You just have to know where to look!

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

I live year around in Island Park, ID only 22 miles from the West Entrance. I worked in Yellowstone for 5 years.
As a photographer, I find more wildlife to photograph here. Your chances of photographing Bears and Wolves is better in Yellowstone, other than that, Island Park is better. More variety of birds, largest Moose population, Pronghorn, Foxes, etc.
I very rarely go into Yellowstone during the Summer! Wildlife seems to disappear.
If you want to see some pictures from around here in Island Park you are welcome to visit my Facebook page. I post new pictures I took nearly every day. My name is Tom Dusbabek. I would happy to be your friend.
I have been a photographer for almost 30 years and have sold my pictures thru 4 galleries over the years. Island Park is AWESOME for wildlife!!

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

I live year around in Island Park, ID only 22 miles from the West Entrance. I worked in Yellowstone for 5 years.
As a photographer, I find more wildlife to photograph here. Your chances of photographing Bears and Wolves is better in Yellowstone, other than that, Island Park is better. More variety of birds, largest Moose population, Pronghorn, Foxes, etc.
I very rarely go into Yellowstone during the Summer! Wildlife seems to disappear.
If you want to see some pictures from around here in Island Park you are welcome to visit my Facebook page. I post new pictures I took nearly every day. My name is Tom Dusbabek. I would happy to be your friend.
I have been a photographer for almost 30 years and have sold my pictures thru 4 galleries over the years. Island Park is AWESOME for wildlife!!

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

tdusbabek

Post by tdusbabek »

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

tdusbabek wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm
Thanks for the reply, Tom. When we first bought our place 4 1/2 years ago, we did it to be close to Yellowstone. We have been pleasantly surprised by all the beauty and wildlife that is here and close by. Now that we are here full time, we will explore even more.

Sorry, but I'm not on facebook or any of the social media. But I will check out your photos when I visit my kids and they can get me on.

--Bill