Cave Falls in early June.

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

westerberg

Cave Falls in early June.

Post by westerberg »

I've been to Yellowstone many times, but have never been to Cave Falls. I am wondering if anyone has ever been to Cave Falls in late May or early June? I've read about how difficult it is to get there, which is fine. But are the roads to it even open this early in the year? Thank you.

billandkaren

Re: Cave Falls in early June.

Post by billandkaren »

Hi, We have been to Cave Falls early in the season. I can't remember exactly when, but I believe it was early-middle June. The road was pretty good most of the way. There were a few places where there was some mud/standing water, but we were able to navigate through ok. You will have to monitior the snow melt though as every year it is different. The area was not crowded at all. Maybe one or two other people at Cave Falls. The falls was really neat with lots of water and a rainbow in the spray. It is not high but very wide and if you want to hike a bit you can see others.

We saw a beaver in a pond along the road on the way in and a moose in the road near the falls. Even though it was fairly early, there were mosquitos. So bring your bug spray.

You may also want to stop at Mesa Falls, both Upper and Lower. They are quite spectacular as well.

--Bill

Just read that the campground at Cave Falls opens Memorial Day Weekend (weather permitting). So unless you have a lot of late snow, the road should be open by then.

westerberg

Post by westerberg »

Thanks for the reply. The Moose and Beaver sighting on the way is pretty awesome. Trying to get down there to see something differant in Yellowstone. Only have 5 days in the park and staying in the northern part, so it will be an all day affair, getting there and back. I was thinking with all the winter run-off the falls would be a sight to see.

Kat

Post by Kat »

We visited Cave Falls June 4, 2014. That year the road was still somewhat rutted in areas, but we had no problems going slowly. The river was running high that year with spring runoff so we could not view the caves, but the very wide falls were impressive. I remember the ground being very mushy; the ranger there told us that it would be a wet hike to other area falls. The mosquitoes were so thick that our vehicle filled with the bloodthirsty critters just from opening the car doors. Good bug spray is essential! We did see a young coyote and some very skittish elk, but no other visitors coming or going. Hope you enjoy the trip!