Crazy early October

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

lah

Crazy early October

Post by lah »

Made a quick "fall" trip to Yellowstone Tuesday-Satirday. Had 8 inches of snow on my car the night I arrived, and the park was closed all day Wednesday, and they didn't open the west entrance until 1 p.m. Thursday. That gave me just 1 1/3`days to find stuff, and I never really did. Never got my camera out, just shot a few scenes with the cellphone. It was 9 below zero Friday morning. Just saw some bison and elk and one coyote. There were wolves way, way out east of Blacktail ponds, but I didn't see them. There was supposedly a bear or two high up in the west end of Lamar Valley, but everyone was putting away their scopes when I arrived.
It was kind of nice to see some of the interior of the park dressed for winter since I've never been to that part in winter.

Image0-11 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Image0-6 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Image0-8 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Image0-9 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Image0-10 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Image0-7 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Dorothy

Re: Crazy early October

Post by Dorothy »

Wow, that really is a crazy few days. Sorry you missed so much time in the park, but it really is beautiful with all that snow! And the park always delivers beauty and peace, no matter what. Thanks for sharing your story!

lah

Post by lah »

Thanks, Dorothy. Yes, there's always that beautiful feeling of being in the park, even if you're not finding the animals you'd hoped to see. And to see some of the interior in winter dress was cool since I've never had a chance for a snowmobile or snowcoach trip.

lah

Post by lah »

Thanks, Dorothy. Yes, there's always that beautiful feeling of being in the park, even if you're not finding the animals you'd hoped to see. And to see some of the interior in winter dress was cool since I've never had a chance for a snowmobile or snowcoach trip.

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Sorry your trip was not as productive animal-wise as you had hoped but glad you got to see some of the winter beauty as seen in your photos. The weather has been a bit crazy this fall. We are heading back up on Friday for our final visit and to close up our cabin for the winter. Hopefully, the weather is at least good enough to get in the park for a couple days.

Bill

lah

Post by lah »

Good luck. Supposedly another storm this weekend.

lah

Post by lah »

Good luck. Supposedly another storm this weekend.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

What a bummer, Linda. We got lucky this year when we left MT for warmer weather down south....we missed all that snow by a day. Our neighbor in MT said that our house got buried in 6 inches of snow last Wednesday. Glad I wasn't there....would have been stuck at home for at least a week. Glad you're OK and were able to see some of the Park dressed in white. :)

lah

Post by lah »

Thanks Yellvet. It wasn't bad, just not what I was hoping for. I go to the park about that time most years, and usually it's T-shirt weather. But they said it was 20 degrees at home, too.