Visiting in May

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Spike

Visiting in May

Post by Spike »

Hi
We are visiting USA and doing another road trip this year and will be in Yellowstone park in May. so below is a little information about what we are doing and what we are after

We will be Arriving at the Grizzly RV park Thursday 9th May and leaving Monday 13th may so a total of 3 full days to see what we can, we are hiring a hire car for the duration of the stay as not ideal taking a 32 foot RV through the park.

We have done some research leading up to this point but now are really starting to find the best places to go and the best places to see wild life.

We are not real hiking fans,as in trekking for miles but we do not mind walking a little way if it means a better experience.

Driving long distances is not a problem to get to see things either as thats what we have come for.

What I am looking for is real good places to visit (Like said distance is not an issue) so all help and advice is appreciated?

We know may will be a bit of a cold month to visit so we will be bring winter coats and jumpers with us, a good sturdy waterproof pair of boots, better to be over warm than freezing cold. Anything else we should be looking at to bring with us or buy along the way ready for visit to YNP?

I am sure there will be more questions along the way so thanks in advance.

Spike

Steve

Re: Visiting in May

Post by Steve »

First off, the road from Tower to Canyon will still be closed, so be aware of that. Beartooth hwy closed as well, if you were thinking about that. New snow can close any of the roads that are open at any time.
Most of the hiking trails in the north part of the park should be open and snow free. Trout Lake, Beaver Pond loop, Yellowstone river trail.
As for wildlife, Hayden Valley, Lamar valley and the east entrance road. They are working on Fishing Bridge on that road, so read the current advisory when you get there. You can encounter wildlife anywhere though. Keep your eyes peeled. You never know what will be where.

BobTN

Post by BobTN »

Spike, welcome and safe travels. As you have only 3days and wildlife viewing is your focus, several areas will be best opportunity. For bison best area is Lamar Valley. Also, though maybe a tad early is Madison River on west entrance road. Look for newborn calves in herd. Hayden valley also good. Chance of bear coyotes elk pronghorn wolf in all three. Less bear wolf chance in Madison.

Swan Lake flats south of Mammoth decent chance for grizzly. Through years I've had good luck. Also the east entrance road past Fishing Bridge up to Sylvan Lake good grizzly chances in spring. For black bear Tower Roosevelt to small Rainey Lake is often very good.
Reality is opportunities just happen with patience, best area and good luck. But anything is possible anywhere.

I highly recommend visiting The Grizzly Wolf Center in West Yst. You will closely see rescued bears, wolves, raptors and exhibits.

I'm restricting my thoughts to driving/patrolling for wildlife. Backcountry Hiking which I do can be rewarding but far less sightings, especially if only 3 days in Yst. Also suggest comfortable layer clothing for unpredictable weather. The number 1 unfactored issue for first time visitors is....Time and Distance! Map and articles are deceiving as opposed to actual travel times point A to B. Many variables in huge Geo area.

My best advise is take your time, focus and enjoy what comes your way. Majority of all people are excited to share what they are seeing, where to look, etc. You may have to temper some expectations with short stay. But sights and rewards can be extraordinary. One final tip is have good binoculars and or tele photo lens with you...can make huge difference in viewing both wildlife and landscapes!
Best of luck!

Spike

Post by Spike »

Thanks to both of you for the info, I will check out all them areas.

We are hiring a ford focus or similar would it be worth me upgrading to a 4x4 of some description as I cannot see the hire car being kitted out with winter tyres etc even if it is hired from west yellowstone?

Thanks again

Steve

Post by Steve »

Probably not. They will close the roads if it snows very much.

BobTN

Post by BobTN »

Steve wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:51 am
Probably not. They will close the roads if it snows very much.
I agree with Steve. My 15 years visits , used standard car rental no problems. May is most often when I visit for hiking and bear photography. Travel great deal with very few road concerns.

If snow should become issue, I stay away from Sylvan Pass on East Entrance road. Keep an eye on local weather reports when you arrive. Conditions inside park may vary from region to region. Often seen Mammoth very different than west Yst , Lake or south to Tetons. Generally by mid May, the roads are snow free with occasionally light snow that doesn't last long.

Spike

Post by Spike »

That is excellent news about the car.

Thanks again