So, what's the park like this year?

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike W.

So, what's the park like this year?

Post by Mike W. »

This will be about trip #6, +/- so while not an expert, I've got the basics down. But it's a little different every time. Sometimes Mammoth is nice and wet and juicy, just stunning, other times it's almost chalky dry. Last trip in '15 the whole park was just crazy busy on our arrival on a Thursday and the employees agreed it was a very busy year. Xanterra run restaurants were lousy, distinctly different than previous visits.

So anyway, with our arrival about a week away now, what's the park like this year?

lah

Re: So, what's the park like this year?

Post by lah »

Mike, it's been five weeks+ since I was there, and I didn't eat at any of the in-park restaurants, so I can't help much in that respect.
But what I can say is that it was a very wet winter/spring in the northern half of the park, so it was all very green when I was there at the end of May. I know it's snowed and rained since then, too, in at least the northeast part.
From what I've been reading, bears still seem to be fairly active and easy to find. People are apparently seeing some wolves.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I know geothermal conditions aren't always a reflection of the prior winter, but sounds like it's cause for optimism! And the larger animals, I've seen some bears, but the one wolf I thought I saw apparently was only a coyote. :( So that sounds like a plus. Regardless I'm looking forward to our visit and thanks for the feedback. 8-)

Mike

Post by Mike »

Here is a opinion/rant you won't hear in a trip report.I almost always stick to the Northern Range,I am there to photograph wildlife but the last trip I had to play tour guide for folks who had never been to the park,no problem I'll take them to the usual spots,Norris,Canyon,and of course Old Faithful.You know what I found ?.....buses,lots of buses with tourists there for the day,when these buses arrive it's like a horde taking over the viewpoints,blocking walkways,walking in front of you as you taking a picture,at Norris one woman came running off the bus and ran into the road and right in to the side of the car I was driving.

I had no idea that this was going on like this,seemed as bad as going to Zion NP.Now I know it's everybody's park and everyone has a right to visit but these bus tours with their somewhat unruly passengers are ruining the whole reason for parks.So my advice for your up coming trip is to try to get to those must see spots early and avoid times when there are large crowds

Rant over

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

I noticed the buses too. I was there the last week in May. Very bad. We had stopped at inspiration point and saw 9 of the buses parked. We came back later. Too many people. If you go to these places early am and later afternoon, you miss the buses.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

You're right on the money, Mike! I went to Artist Point, south of Canyon in mid June. With the high water and all the rain that the Park was getting, I thought I might be able to capture an early light, morning shot of a beautiful rainbow, hanging over the Falls. We had just started walking down the steps to the Falls viewing area, when several buses showed up. It was only 6:45 am! The buses were packed with visitors from Japan, who were not only rude but one woman even had the gall to push me down on the concrete just so she could get a better vantage point, in front of me. Good thing I have the patience of Job and I didn't have my HD tripod along. I was so mad that I might have bopped her one, for being so rude and disrespectful. The woman showed no remorse and didn't even apologize for pushing and knocking me down. I wasn't seriously hurt...but I did get a big bump and nasty bruise on my left knee cap that still bothers me. Since I haven't been overly stable in a while, as you can imagine, I was not a happy camper. Who the heck did she think she was? I have just as much right to visit Yellowstone, as anyone. But after what we encountered in the Park last summer with all the buses and rude Oriental visitors, we're ready to start looking for another park to visit or maybe we'll just stay home where we can fish and hike and I can take my pix without encountering any rude or obnoxious people. This was also the second year in a row when foreign visitors tried to steal our campsite even though our site was posted as being occupied and we even had chairs by our site post and also by our picnic table. Had to call a ranger both times so we wouldn't have an altercation or lose our site. The same thing happened to one of our friends. While I always try to welcome foreign visitors to Yellowstone and try to be a good ambassador for the Park, I've gotta admit that, it's becoming harder and harder, with each passing year. Hubby and I don't need such rude and disrespectful treatment from any Park visitor, especially, when we've been supporting the Park and its contract concessionaires for over 30+ years.

I don't like to point fingers or complain,unless I have a possible solution for the problem. According to NPS stats, Yellowstone is getting more and more visitors each year and, especially, during the peak months of the summer visitor season (June and July). While the additional visitors are making the Park a global destination hot spot, IMO, it's also putting too much pressure and stress on the Park's ecosystem and wildlife. And that's not good.

Yellowstone is our country's first national park. IMHO, US citizens should be given top priority and be entitled to visit Yellowstone at any time and be charged fees that are affordable. Sadly, many of the US families that used to visit the Park every year have all but disappeared, having been replaced by non-US citizens who have money to burn and who, repeatedly, disrespect the Yellowstone ecosystem, its wildlife and other visitors. Visiting Yellowstone should be a right of all US citizens and a "paid-for" privilege for all non-US citizens. Non US citizens who want to visit Yellowstone should be allowed to visit but only during specified months of the year (ie: Jan through April and October through December). Non-US citizens should also be charged significantly more for Yellowstone entrance, camping fees, permits, licenses, supplies, merchandise and services. I see no reason why the NPS can't keep its Yellowstone fees at the existing rates or perhaps lower them for US citizens and then charge non-US citizens a reasonable surcharge for the privilege of visiting Yellowstone and then be assessed a special tax for anything that they buy, similar to the "resort tax" that people pay in the gateway communities for lodging, restaurant meals and non-essential items. From what I've seen, Yellowstone is getting far too much people pressure, which will only serve to hurt the Park, its wildlife and the GYE in the long run. So I sincerely hope that the DOI, NPS and Yellowstone management will read and follow the NPS mission statement. It used to appear on the front page of the NPS website but I'm not sure if it's still there. The way I see it, some drastic changes need to be made soon if the NPS wants to maintain the integrity of Yellowstone and preserve its natural beauty and wildlife. If something isn't done, then the magic of Yellowstone, as we know it, could very well disappear in our lifetime. As the public- entrusted steward of our national parks, the NPS has an obligation to preserve and protect Yellowstone for all US citizens and not just for the benefit of foreign visitors. Perhaps the Park should take another look at the visitor numbers, the peak visitor months and the number of visitors who are not US citizens. That might help identify some of the existing problems (too many people which puts too much stress on the environment and on wildlife which can have a domino effect, leading to an increased mortality rate for living plants and animals. Hopefully, the Park and the NPS can make some badly needed changes that will benefit the Park as well as accommodate its visitors. That's a pretty tall order. Whether or not it's even feasible, remains to be seen. All I know is that I want my 2 young grand kids to experience the magic of Yellowstone like I have for so many years. Bet a lot of you, feel the same way about your own kids and grandchildren. So I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with R. Zinke or Jon Tester and plead my case for saving Yellowstone, the biggest treasure and jewel of MT and WY. IMO, people are "loving" Yellowstone to death! And it's got to stop!

dbl4de3

Post by dbl4de3 »

I have to agree with you. I live on the east coast so do not get to Yellowstone as much as I would like. The last time we were there was late May 2016. During that time there were numerous buses with foreign folks. The bus would stop, they would rush off, not caring that they ran over other people. Run to destination, look, take photos, then run back. Several times I would watch them getting really close to Elk and buffalo. Maybe if the elk or buffalo charged them they would move back, but I doubt it. We are planning another trip next year but I have not decided which time of the year to come. Spring, August or fall.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Ah yes, the bus people. :evil: I know the argument is buses keep cars off the road and relieve congestion, but they don't, not those at least. Most of those people wouldn't be there in the park except on the bus as part of a tour. They overwhelm locations when they pull in, they often are very rude though most will react if I bark loudly enough even if they don't understand the language, tone of voice is pretty universal. They get a discounted admission rate, while traffic is and should be slow in the park they're even slower and when it comes time to park, they park, regardless if there's room or not.

As bad as they are it also seems to me that they're worse in Zion and at the Grand Canyon. Oh well, life goes on. But when I'm king things will be different! :lol:

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Thanks for posting, your Royal Highness! ;) Good to know that all of us peons will benefit from the changes that you're going to make. Can't wait....let the coronation begin! :lol: