Fishing Bridge closing

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Fishing Bridge closing

Post by RikWriter »

I scheduled a short trip in mid-late October and I found out Fishing Bridge is going to be closed for construction by then. Does this mean that if I want to get to the Pelican Valley, Mary Bay, Sedge Bay, Sylvan, etc...that my only option will be to drive to Cody and come in the East entrance? I assume it does, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Mike

Re: Fishing Bridge closing

Post by Mike »

"October 15 to November 5: full closure of Fishing Bridge over the Yellowstone River. East Entrance Road will remain open as far as Sedge Bay. People needing to travel through Yellowstone to or from Cody, Wyoming and beyond will need to use the Northeast Entrance during this closure."

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

sgphoto

Post by sgphoto »

Mary Bay will be inaccessible from either direction. Also, Fishing Bridge RV Park will be closed for the entire 2019 season.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Why will Mary Bay be inaccessible?

sgphoto

Post by sgphoto »

Full closure of Fishing Bridge over river and road at Sedge Bay. I doubt they will let you walk in from Sedge Bay during construction.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

So they're closing the road at Sedge Bay as well as the bridge down at the entrance?

Mike

Post by Mike »

The construction extends as far east as Indian Pond and includes

Roadway embankment and select borrow placement will continue from Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond.
Work will continue at the parking lot east of the General Store and at the Pelican Valley Trailhead.
Pile encapsulation work for Fishing Bridge continues.
Masonry work between Fishing Bridge and the Repair Shop will resume.
Masonry Culvert installation will continue.

There are plans to replace the Pelican Creek bridge when funding is complete.I would think that since the work extends to the Mary Bay area that they need to have a safe and large area to turn traffic around,so I would bet that they will block the road at Lake Butte Overlook,might be using Mary Bay/Sedge bay area as equipment staging area .

Rik sorry your plans are upset,I had the rug pulled out from under me in '13 when the govt. shut down three days before I was to head to the park,had to delay over a week and most facilities never reopened.Even though it left me in the park till November 1st I still had a great time and I am sure that you will too,just don't get caught on the wrong side of the Chief Joseph Highway if a heavy snow comes