YNP Campgrounds Going Reservation 2021

Post and read news about Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

YNP Campgrounds Going Reservation 2021

Post by Mike »

All of Mammoth and Slough Creek and part of Pebble Creek campgrounds are going to be reserved starting this year,with the first day to make reservations through recreation.gov is March 24th 8:00 a.m. MST

https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/ye ... 9ca54.html

yellvet

Re: YNP Campgrounds Going Reservation 2021

Post by yellvet »

The past couple weeks, I've been getting phone calls from several of my longtime Yellowstone friends from all over the country about the Park's new campground reservation system for 2021, for some of the campgrounds (like Slough Creek). Sadly, I have yet to hear or read about how the Park's new reservation system is going to work after a person submits their reservation online for a particular site. Does anyone know the details? Are people going to be limited to a specific number of days that they can reserve a particular site? And if two people submit reservations for the same site for the same period of time, who is going to make the decision as to who gets the site?

I've been camping in the Park every year since 1978. Getting a site at Slough Creek has never been easy and I don't see it getting any easier....either with or without a reservation. So what happens if a camper with a reservation doesn't show up or vacates their site before the end of their reservation? What happens to the site and the money? I also have to question why a primitive campground like Slough Creek, which only has 15 sites, would even require a site reservation. The old system of "first come, first serve"worked just fine for decades and also operated very well without a CG host for a number of years. The Park's repeat SC campers were the best ambassadors and educators that Yellowstone has ever had.....AND they did it for FREE just to ensure that a "new" Park visitor didn't get into trouble with a bear or other wildlife and that they had the best Park experience possible. In fact, these folks know more about the local wildlife and the Park's rules and regs than any new campground host or even some of the rangers. Maybe the new Park Superintendent thinks that going to a campsite reservation system is going to work better than the old first come-first serve system that has worked for decades. Granted, the old system wasn't perfect but, at least, it was fair. Lastly, but more importantly, why wasn't the public told about the new reservation system until now? This is so typical....keep the taxpaying public and Yellowstone advocates in the dark until it's too late to do anything. Well, I'm going to contact both of our state senators and file a complaint about the Park's new reservation system. Montanans spend a lot of money to rent a piece of dirt in the Park. And they do it because, for them, Yellowstone is a magical, sacred place. Heck even the site fee is going to be bumped $5 to cover the cost of processing a site registration. Seems to me, that the Park would be far better off and money ahead if it added one or two more primitive campgrounds in the Lamar Valley, which 1) would cut down on the amount of traffic between Tower Junction and the Lamar Valley and 2) would also make the campgrounds an attractive camping a destination for the wolf watchers and other wildlife enthusiasts. For some reason, the Park always wants to make changes to Yellowstone every few years. I pray that one day the Park's management will come to its senses and will realize that there are some things and places in this world that should not be changed. And Yellowstone is one of them. People love Yellowstone just the way it is. It's magical, wild and beautiful, and to dictate to taxpayers, Yellowstone visitors and longtime Park advocates how, when and where they can spend their free time is wrong! IMHO, the Park is making a huge mistake by going to a site registration system. It's fraught with problems and will do nothing but raise the ire of new and repeat visitors.

Mike

Post by Mike »

With park attendance skyrocketing I think this might be a response to the "coming storm",the NPS might be anticipating larger crowds and are looking for a way to manage the higher demand.As for camp management they are going to need a campground host to sort out the problems that are sure to arise as you quite well laid out or have a a NPS ranger take care of it daily like they do at Mammoth before the camp office opens on or about May 1st,I would rather see rangers doing other work than become reservation agents.Where was public input on this ?

yellvet wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:50 pm
the Park would be far better off and money ahead if it added one or two more primitive campgrounds in the Lamar Valley, which 1) would cut down on the amount of traffic between Tower Junction and the Lamar Valley and 2) would also make the campgrounds an attractive camping a destination for the wolf watchers and other wildlife enthusiasts.

Why not open Pebble Creek earlier (at least some spots) to alleviate some of the pressure ? I keep going earlier and earlier and now I have problems getting a site at Mammoth in the second week of April.By May 1st Pebble is clear of snow and just sits there empty.

The new system really is not good for someone like me who plans what dates I'll be in the park(or a local who goes on whim),but beyond that I wing it,I don't plan on a camp or how long I would camp at that spot,with this new plan I am going to have to set dates way in advance,stick to a itinerary,stay at that camp,because getting a refund for unused days is not easy

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Half the fun, adventure and enjoyment for most new and repeat Park visitors is spending time in different areas of the Park and at different campgrounds so they can explore the Park at their leisure or get the "poop"from the locals and longtime Park visitors on where to go to see specific wildlife, where to go to catch huge cutthroat trout, where to see and photograph rare and unusual wildflowers, and pristine landscapes or enjoy the little-known secret places where you can just sit on a log by the water and breathe in all the beauty and smells of the forest while savoring the peace and solitude, that is Yellowstone.

Personally, I don't appreciate being told where I can camp or when I can visit our nation's first national park. I strongly suspect that many longtime Park advocates and folks from MT and WY feel the same way. After having been cooped up for almost a year, I strongly suspect that Americans are going to be flocking to the Park this year. So, I'm staying home. In light of the problems, that I know that are going to arise with the Park's new registration system such as fights between campers, OB camping, negative bear encounters, my sincere hope is that there will be rangers on hand at the campgrounds to handle all the angry visitors who didn't know about the Park's new registration system and/or didn't get a camp site when they showed up at the campground or had booked a site online at the same time as someone else and both showed up at the campground to tag their site. Heck, even when I tried to create an account at the registration.gov site this morning, it was down. I've also noticed campground site mistakes. I don't need that kind of aggravation. So hubby and I are staying home. We live along one of the best trout streams in the state, so we see no point in subjecting ourselves to such a frustrating and costly Park visit.

The Park has had a shortage of camp sites for several years. So I fail to understand why the Park didn't address this problem when it could have solved the site shortage problem, fairly easily at minimal cost, years ago. Instead of solving the problem, sadly, Park management chose the easy way by punishing the visitors, frustrating the new Park visitors while insulting and angering the older longtime Park advocates. After spending over 40 years camping in the Park, without doubt, I will miss it dearly. But at my age, I just don't have the time anymore, to put up with all the Park's political BS. So, if you're looking for a wonderful secluded site at Slough Creek that's shady and gets daily wildlife visitors in June and early July, Site 13 is a dandy. Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Most of Mammoth Campground(both loops) is already booked in the first day of reservations,with opening week of May 3rd and the dates around Memorial Day pretty much booked up,in fact most sites are already booked up to August.Looks to me like people going with out a reservation this summer might be shut out. As for Slough Creek,it is booked completely June thru September

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

I thought about booking a site at Mammoth this morning, but I already have a tent site reserved at Yellowstone RV park, and they have free showers, WiFI and a laundry. It's an extra ten minute drive, but I think I can live with it. I did book a couple nights at Gros Ventre.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Mike, with Indian Creek being the only CG that's going to be First Come-First Serve this summer, I bet the road from Mammoth to Norris that passes by the entry to the Indian Creek CG, is going to be one big traffic jam.....and when you're on vacation, the last thing people want or need is the govt telling telling them what they can or cannot do. That's another reason why we're staying home. There are plenty of CG's in MT that have plenty of hiking, fishing and photography opportunities. Best part, most of the smaller CG's at the state fishing accesses are either free or have a a small nightly charge of less than $10. With most Americans getting a Covid relief check, I strongly suspect that the Park's administration may be thinking that most Americans are going to have money to burn this summer. So why not take advantage of the pandemic and increase all the Park's pricing for 2021. Is this right or ethical? Not hardly! But, after all, wasn't it one of our Congressional fearless leaders who said something to the effect, "Never let a crisis go to waste, especially, when you can use it to your advantage.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if scalpers have already begun selling reserved Yellowstone camp sites online at outrageous prices. Check out the link below to see what's been going on in Yosemite: https://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,33915,33945