Planning trip first week of July 2024

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

smiley

Planning trip first week of July 2024

Post by smiley »

This will be two of my grandson's first trip west. They love the Smokies so this I hope it is a treat. Planning 4 nights in Yellowstone and 3 in Tetons. I have always enjoyed the posts here which help with planning. Not near as many posts as years past so much appreciated!
Thanks Mark :D

RikWriter

Re: Planning trip first week of July 2024

Post by RikWriter »

I hope you have the lodging already booked because that gets reserved very quickly.
My advice would be to get out early, before dawn, and go someplace like the Lamar or the Hayden, get there at dawn to catch the wildlife and the sunrise. Then around 8 or 9, go somewhere and go hiking/walking, either on a trail or the walkways around the hot springs and thermals. Bring lunch and eat it there, don't hit the road again until later in the afternoon. A couple hours before sunset, go back to looking for wildlife and don't leave until 7 or 8.

smiley

Post by smiley »

We have our reservations all in place. Robin and I fly into Jackson Hole and stay at Signal Mnt. one night then to Gardiner 2 nights then we meet the kids down at Lake for a night. Then we all go to Signal Mt 3 nights and then 4 nights in Gardiner. The kids are driving from Ohio and doing Mt Rushmore and all the sites getting out to Yellowstone. That's the plan. I hope good weather and safe travels are a big part of our plans. :D
Thanks Rike

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

You have my good wishes for safe travels. The weather is a bit more volatile. You'll have plenty of sun, but you'll also have plenty of thunderstorms. Don't get spooked if a thunderstorm hits and don't turn around and go back. Pull over and wait it out. It won't last more than an hour, probably not even that long. They pass by quickly.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

We did the trip from Michigan to Yellowstone 3 times with our boys 2007-2012. Have them plan for an opportune time to avoid morning/evening rush hours through Chicago. Late morning to early afternoon is usually good as is night time. (The toll on I-80 in Chicago no longer accepts cash, but they can set up a pay by plate online.) If they are coming I-70, same holds true for Indianapolis. Also, check construction as that can make a huge difference.

I would suggest at least a couple hours in the Badlands on the way to Rushmore. If they want to do something "touristy", Wall Drug is kind of fun--excellent donuts.

Coming in the East Entrance to Yellowstone have them be on the lookout for grizzly bears between Sylvan pass and the Lake. They have been active in that area the last couple of years.

In the Tetons I would suggest getting the boys out for a hike away from the roads. String Lake is a nice, easy walk with the mountains reflecting in a pristine mountain lake. it's less than a mile to the bridge which is a nice turn around spot or you can keep going to get a look at Leigh Lake as well. Make sure you are early (or late afternoon) as the parking fills up after about 9:00 AM.

If you're up for a bit more of a challenge, Grand View Point or Emma Matilda Lake North shore have gorgeous views of the Tetons. Bear spray is a must on these trails, but with 4 in your group I'd feel pretty safe.

In Yellowstone I strongly agree with Rik. If you want to see wildlife other than bison, sunrise and shortly after are the best.

Shoot us a reminder shortly before your trip and I'll post the recent hot spots for sighting wildlife as we should be spending some time in park. Best wishes for a great family time together.

--Bill

smiley

Post by smiley »

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your thoughts and enjoy the posts and pics you and Karen take time to share. This forum used to have a lot more information do to all the participants. But the quality of of pics and reports hasn't suffered thanks to you, Rike and a few others. They are much appreciated! :D

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Thanks for the positive feedback. It gives us encouragement to keep posting.