Fall In and Around Yellowstone

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Fall In and Around Yellowstone

Post by karenandbill »

We made several trips into the park and the surrounding areas this fall and thought I'd give a few highlights. I will also post some bird photos from the past year under the photography tab soon.

We headed to Lamar Valley several times but the wolf/grizzly views were not great for us.

We did catch this lone gray that seemed to be hanging near the Junction Buttes but word is that it did not join up.

ImageDSC_0367 by William Reinke, on Flickr

We got to see the grizzly named Jam out by the Yellowstone Lake overlook. She kept hiding behind the downed logs digging and eating roots (I'm Guessing). This was the best shot I could get

ImageDSC_0180 by William Reinke, on Flickr

We haven't had much snow this year, but we got a pretty good shot in late October. We decided to head into the park and I specifically told Karen I wanted to see a bull moose with a good set of antlers. Just after leaving the house, Karen spotted these two along the highway.

ImageDSC_0349 by William Reinke, on Flickr

They started sparring which was a first for us with moose. Upon rolling down the window we could hear the clicking and clacking of the antlers as they were testing each other out. It didn't seem to get too heated but was really great to see.

ImageDSC_0346 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0343 by William Reinke, on Flickr

After we left, we saw the female up the road and she seemed oblivious to the whole show. I blew the horn to get her away from the road. A few days later we were driving by the same location and glimpsed a large dead animal just off the highway. On the way back we were relieved to see it was an elk. Sorry for the elk, but unfairly glad it wasn't one of "our" moose.

Headed into Hayden Valley. No wolves but did see a pair of mousing coyotes.

ImageDSC_0383 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0388 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0393 by William Reinke, on Flickr

From Hayden we headed out east. On the shore of Yellowstone Lake we something unusual moving in the water. After Karen put the binoculars on it, she confirmed it was a female elk swimming/walking parallel to the shore. We waited expecting her to head to shore, but she just kept moving in the same direction. Even though she was a ways in front of us now, we decided to leave to give her as much space as possible to get out of the lake. On our way back about 20 minutes later we were surprised to see her still in the water. We passed by her and then parked. Finally we could see in the mirror she got out and crossed the road. We had heard that the Mollies wolf pack had been in the area several days earlier, so perhaps they made a run at her and she headed for the Lake, but who knows?

ImageDSC_0334 by William Reinke, on Flickr

The colors didn't last real long, but it was a beautiful fall. Here are a few shots from Idaho near our house and Grand Teton.

ImageDSC_0283 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0318 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0844 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0268 by William Reinke, on Flickr
Last edited by karenandbill on Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RikWriter

Re: Fall In and Around Yellowstone

Post by RikWriter »

You got one more wolf photo than I did this fall!

mdtrot

Re: Fall In and Around Yellowstone

Post by mdtrot »

Amazing fall colors!