Summer Update

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Summer Update

Post by karenandbill »

With fall fast approaching, I thought I'd better post a few pictures from this spring/summer. They are up under the photography tab.

We have seen quite a few bears, especially early in the season. Wolf sightings were fewer and further away with no good photos. The Junction Buttes have been around Slough Creek and Lamar Valley, but only one pup survived. The Rescue Creek and Wapiti Packs have had better success with at least several pups each. I have not seen any of the Mollies or Eight mile packs so don't know if they successfully raised any pups or not.

The weather has been good this summer with substantial, but not too much, rain mixed in and very little smoke. The hillsides and valleys stayed green into August which was great! The cold, snowy winter seems (to us anyway) to have hurt the berry crop. Hope the bears and birds can find enough to get them ready for winter.

--Bill

RikWriter

Re: Summer Update

Post by RikWriter »

Do you know if the Shrimp Lake pack had any pups that survived?

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Thanks for posting the beautiful pics. I drove through the Lake area and Hayden Valley, and half way up to Dunraven on August 28, but only saw a few elk and bison. Perhaps it was not the best time of the year for seeing bear from the roads. This was in the late afternoon.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Do you know if the Shrimp Lake pack had any pups that survived?
[/quote]

I don't know if the Shrimp Lake Pack had puppies. We didn't see them this summer.
mdtrot wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:01 pm
Thanks for posting the beautiful pics. I drove through the Lake area and Hayden Valley, and half way up to Dunraven on August 28, but only saw a few elk and bison. Perhaps it was not the best time of the year for seeing bear from the roads. This was in the late afternoon.
August is usually a tough time to see bears. I heard "Snow" had 2 cubs this year and was out that way in July. We were in that area out east about the same time you were and didn't see anything.