Yellowstone? I've done it all.

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike W.

Yellowstone? I've done it all.

Post by Mike W. »

At least according to the ranger at the visitors center this past summer. Now I am a multi trip visitor who does some, but not intensive hiking, in addition to the easy stuff like the Upper Geyser Basin, but I rattled off some of the things I've done there and asked for suggestions for new trips. And he said, well, sounds like you've done it all. And left it at that. Uh, I'd like to think I have some idea of what I don't know, and I'm well aware there's a ton of Yellowstone stuff I don't know. But apparently the ranger and I were even on what I don't know.

More of a trip report later.

RikWriter

Re: Yellowstone? I've done it all.

Post by RikWriter »

Watch Stan Mills YouTube videos if you want to see some lesser-known hikes.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Oh I know I can find more, but I was disappointed at his attitude. I mean it's his job to know this stuff and he either didn't or didn't want to bother. Oh well, not the first for that in any profession.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Mike W. wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:26 am
but I was disappointed at his attitude. I mean it's his job to know this stuff and he either didn't or didn't want to bother.
We have had similar experiences with some of the rangers. That said, I guess about 1/3 of the rangers were very helpful, 1/3 were so-so, and 1/3 were not interested or just incompetent. I think you hit one of the bottom 1/3 :roll:

timv

Post by timv »

I am often disappointed in the rangers knowledge too. More so at our State parks. But I always give them the benefit of the doubt. When we canoed into the Shoshone geyser basin we met a backcountry kayak ranger there that was well into his first year in the park. His job was so specific and remote that he did not have time for much else. When I asked him what his favorite part of the park was, he confessed that he had not even been to Lamar Valley, despite having a years worth of weekends to visit.