July 10-11 visit

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

July 10-11 visit

Post by RikWriter »

My son was in town so I took him on a two-day visit to the park. We saw 9 bears today (the 11th), including Raspberry and Jam and a grizzly sow in the Hayden with 2 COY as well as four black bears, plus we saw a wolf while hiking out behind Otter Creek near the Canyon corrals.

Dorothy

Re: July 10-11 visit

Post by Dorothy »

Wow! That's great! Glad you had the chance to go in.

How crowded was it? And what entrance did you go in/come out?

Again, thanks for sharing. Sounds like Yellowstone is in full bloom (with bears!).

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Dorothy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:18 pm
Wow! That's great! Glad you had the chance to go in.

How crowded was it? And what entrance did you go in/come out?

Again, thanks for sharing. Sounds like Yellowstone is in full bloom (with bears!).
We stayed in West Yellowstone since he has to fly out of Bozeman tomorrow. Came in the East Entrance yesterday but went in this morning very early via the West Entrance. It was pretty crowded, but not as much as normal, probably due to the Lamar being closed as well as no travel between Gardiner and Mammoth.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks for the info. Again, so glad you had a good viewing day in the Park and appreciate you sharing that with us.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Looks like you really hit the jackpot. Good for you. Bet your son really had a great time with you in the Park. Sadly, I've been out of commission for almost 6 months...what a pain and so depressing, not being able to photograph my favorite wildlife buddies. Pulled my Achilles tendon in January while swimming and then broke my left wrist in several places while power walking. Got home to Nye in April, but have been dealing with the big flood and another injury ever since June. The typography of the Stillwater River has totally changed. 6 cabins were lost in the flood and one of our neighbors had over 5' of water and debris in the lower level of his home. Hubby and I have been counting our blessings. Luckily, our house sits on high ground and is far enough away from the river, that we never even got a puddle on our property. The river is still running high at the moment. I don't think that the local campgrounds will be able to open until September. Lots of roads and bridges were lost in the flood. The county work crews have been working like crazy trying to get the roads open and bridges repaired. Been watching for bears walking along the river but so far, no cigars. The birds have slowly been returning so that's a good sign. Osprey and eagles have also been cruising the river looking for fish to grab. We've lived in Nye for over 20 years and I can't recall the River staying above flood stage for such a long period of time. The Stillwater River shares the same headwaters as Slough Creek. So, I strongly suspect that it's going to take the entire Greater Yellowstone region a few years to recover. :(