Trip Report May 15

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Trip Report May 15

Post by RikWriter »

Went out towards the Lamar and passed a work truck that had gone off the road and flipped over somewhere near Blacktail, I think. A ranger was parked nearby, keeping an eye on it, presumably waiting for a wrecker.
Was supposed to meet Karen and Bill at Slough at 8:30 so I headed to Silver Gate to eat breakfast and on the way back was delayed by a grizzly which was being harassed by a coyote between Soda Butte Cone and Trout Lake. Met Karen and Bill and we took a 5 mile hike in the Yellowstone Picnic Area region. Saw a few elk and bison and a very brazen marmot.
When we walked back to Wrecker Pullout, there were a group of bighorn ewes there.
Went back into the Lamar and came across wolf 1229F of the Junction Buttes playing with a small group of bison. Got some okay pics of her.
Found a young black bear at Phantom Lake and got some pics of that.
Then met Rod Prouty and his wife for an early dinner and then went out the old Yellowstone Road and got some elk.

Good day. Last full day in the park.

Dorothy

Re: Trip Report May 15

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks so much for all the reports -- I've really enjoyed following your trip.

We're hoping to be there in a week or so. We have to deicde whether to spend two full days and a partial day in Yellowstone or Grand Teton, as we have an uneven number of days to spend. Reports from Teton is that it's really crowded with 200-car bear jams -- I'm thinking maybe the extra half day in Yellowstone? Has it been really crowded? We really want to have some good wildlife viewing. Have there been any elk calves seen yet, in Mammoth or other places you've been? Is it too early for black bears w/cubs, or do you suppose they're staying in that Tower/Dunraven closed area?

Again, thanks so much for your reports. We're getting excited to get there.

RikWriter

Re: Trip Report May 15

Post by RikWriter »

Yellowstone has not been particularly crowded. It was getting busier every day though.