Snow, snow, 610, Yellowstone and GT hikes Oct 17-23

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Snow, snow, 610, Yellowstone and GT hikes Oct 17-23

Post by karenandbill »

We did a rather lengthy trip report on Saturday with details of our hikes and roadside views. We took a couple of breaks during the posting. When we finished, and pushed submit we lost it all. We were logged out and when we logged back in, it was all gone. :cry: Very frustrating. So after brooding over the loss for two days, we've decided to do an abbreviated version by posting the pictures.

610 and two-year-old cubs
ImageNikon October 2020 036 by William Reinke, on Flickr

Cub Having a look around
ImageNikon October 2020 055 by William Reinke, on Flickr

"Snow" the bear
ImageOctober 2020 027 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageOctober 2020 028 by William Reinke, on Flickr

Pine Grosbeak seen on a Teton hike
ImageOctober 2020 054 by William Reinke, on Flickr

Sunset on Lewis Lake
ImageOctober 2020 067 by William Reinke, on Flickr

What Scat is That? Maybe Cougar??? Please respond if you know. Seen on a Yellowstone trail hike.
ImageOctober 2020 070 by William Reinke, on Flickr

snow the precipitation. Fresh wolf track seen on a Yellowstone hike. Did not see the wolf, but saw elk and coyote.
ImageNikon October 2020 106 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageNikon October 2020 092 by William Reinke, on Flickr

ImageNikon October 2020 083 by William Reinke, on Flickr

Negative 15 degrees and 4-6 inches of snow in places over the weekend. Hopefully we will have more to post as this is the last week for most entrances to be open.

Dorothy

Re: Snow, snow, 610, Yellowstone and GT hikes Oct 17-23

Post by Dorothy »

Fun photos! Thanks for sharing. Loved the pine grosbeak -- I've never seen one. Snow is sure a beautiful bear, and fun to see 610 and the cubs -- they look healthy! Sorry to hear about the "lost" report -- that is so discouraging, but appreciate you giving us a report with photos anyway.

Looking forward to further insights and sights!

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Scat looks a little big for cougar. Maybe wolf?

timv

Post by timv »

Thanks for the report. It must be fun to be able to see the park in all of its transitions. Sorry about the lost report. It can be quite frustrating so I have learned to type the text of my reports on a word document then cut and paste into the website.
tv

awmeyer

Post by awmeyer »

Excellent photos! We have only been in Yellowstone twice, but both were filled with sights and memories. My daughter and her husband are currently camping there a few days, before returning to Oregon. Some cell texts getting through. We know Lamar Valley is a good bet, but our best wolf+bear sighting was elsewhere in the park. Any tips on where either currently being seen welcome, will pass along. They know the roads close next week.
Bon voyage,
Allan Meyer
Love those Jackson Lodge bison burgers!

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Dorothy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 pm
Loved the pine grosbeak -- I've never seen one.
This was the first time for us, a life bird. We saw the female first and she is pretty in her own right, but we didn't know what she was until we saw the male and Bill figured it out. They were really enjoying the berries and let us get remarkably close.
RikWriter wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:53 am
Scat looks a little big for cougar. Maybe wolf?
We saw some (likely) wolf scat on the trail as well, but this looked different--much more pointed and very hairy. That's why I thought cat instead of dog or bear. But I don't know. Wish I was more of a poop expert--or maybe not :D .
timv wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:30 pm
Thanks for the report. It must be fun to be able to see the park in all of its transitions.
Yes! This is our first year here full time and we are loving it. Not sure how we'll handle the winter, but we are going to give it a try.
awmeyer wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 pm
Any tips on where either currently being seen welcome, will pass along.
Roads close Monday except for the road between Mammoth and Cooke city. Wolves are being seen just west of Lamar Valley, between Slough Creek area and The Hellroaring Trailhead area, but mostly pretty far away. A couple of grizzlies in that area as well. We were in Hayden Valley the other night and saw only elk and a coyote. The wapiti wolves are wandering . See our upcoming report.