Video of wolf/bear encounter from August 6

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Video of wolf/bear encounter from August 6

Post by karenandbill »

I found this video taken at the same time Karen and I witnessed it in Lamar Valley (see trip report from August 6). The captions make it seem like this was an attack initiated by the wolves. However, the wolves were just defending their carcass. The mother bear and her two cubs were moving in getting close to the wolves feeding which prompted the wolf response. Once the skirmish was over, the wolves returned to the carcass and the bears just sat down and waited. The wolves left one-by-one walking past the bears until there was just one wolf left on the carcass. Then the bears moved in and chased the last wolf away. They were able to get a good meal. At one point the last wolf tried to return but as it got close, mama bear chased it away.

This was apparently the second bison carcass in the area within a week, so I think the wolves were quite full and not that interested in defending it. So that was a benefit to the bears.

The video was taken by a wildlife tour operator. Great chance for some free advertising. I'm so glad we were able to find it as it preserves our memory. Hope you enjoy it.

https://weather.com/science/nature/vide ... ening-cubs.