May 11 and 12

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

billandkaren

May 11 and 12

Post by billandkaren »

We are at our place in Idaho for a couple weeks and have gone into the park the past two days. Bears are everywhere on the loop from Old Faithful to Mammoth to Lamar. 26 different bears and an additional 7 repeats. Highlights include grizzly sow and two yearling cubs at the Slough Creek bowl (Just East of the road). Very visible. A sow grizzly with 3 coys south of the construction on Mammoth/Norris rd. A black sow with triplet yearlings south of tower. And a huge grizzly sow with yearling north of Old Faithful. Got to see the coys playing in the snow. Fun! Junction Buttes still around Slough and to the east. Saw two different blacks today, one near the grizzlies at the Slough Bowl. Also moose, lots of bighorn, eagles, deer, elk, and red dogs being born.

The down side is the park is packed! I shouldn't complain because we are helping to make it that way, but I have been here in May the last three years and this year is by far the most crowded. Reminds me of July except not quite as many buses.

The weather has been beautiful. 71 degrees today. I was surprised to see how dry parts of the northern section are already after all the snow we had in March. The advanced forecast is warm and dry for the next 2 weeks. I'm already concerned about fire season. Hope we get some rain and cooler days mixed in.

Nordwil

Re: May 11 and 12

Post by Nordwil »

Wow! Thanks for the report! I'm there in a week and a half. It sounds like the crowds are early as well as the bears!

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Sorry. I've been using my "smart" phone for posting and weather forecast. It obviously has a learning disabilitiy 😉. Next week the advanced forecast calls for cooler and somewhat rainy conditons.

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Sorry. I've been using my "smart" phone for posting and weather forecast. It obviously has a learning disabilitiy 😉. Next week the advanced forecast calls for cooler and somewhat rainy conditons.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Thanks for the posts, guys. Looks like you really hit the jackpot spotting bears. Kind of reminds me of the year that I logged 52 different bear sightings over a two-week period in June. :o Hope your luck continues. It's a glorious morning near Nye...absolutely beautiful. Mayflies are all over our house window screens so hubby just walked down to the River to fish before the runoff gets going in earnest. It's supposed to be near 70 today. So I suspect that the Park weather along the northern range will be much the same...warm, sunny and dry for the next few days. So, if you're in the Park right now, have fun, and be sure to take lots of pix. Above all, stay safe! Can't wait to see everyone's trip report and pix. Weekends like this don't come along very often in the GYE, so enjoy the weather while it lasts. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !