Sept 21-Sept 28

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Doubledub

Sept 21-Sept 28

Post by Doubledub »

Ok so yes future dates. I was here in May and didn’t give a trip report. This is my way of committing. I got some good shots so 399, Blondie and their cubs. I am hopeful to get some comparison shots, bugling elk and some Moose. Planned 3 days Tetons, 4 days Yellowstone.

Dorothy

Re: Sept 21-Sept 28

Post by Dorothy »

Looking forward to the reports. We should begetting there just about the time you're leaving -- sorry to be missing you (are you planning GT or Yellowstone last? We may cross paths in Yellowstone for a day or so if you're there around the 28th). Hoping for bugling elk and such, too! Hope you have a great time.

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

Day 1
Arrive in Jackson around 12:30 and went straight to Moose-Wilson drive. Not expecting too much at that time of day, just needed a good drive to spend some time before checking in our hotel. We saw the back bear and her 3 cubs in the berry bushes just before the beaver ponds. After checking in and lunch, around 4pm, we Swung by the Gros Ventre campground and river looking for moose to no avail. Stopped at oxbow, only waterfowl at oxbow mallards and mergansers. Around 6, We took a spin up signal mountain. Saw a female sage grouse, who looked to be a regular in one of the parking areas. After a nice view of the valley, we began our journey down. Mid way down, we located a bull elk, bugling. He was a 14 point buck, very good sized fella. I did get some decent shots of him. That wrapped up day 1.
Day 2 we spent on forest service roads in Bridger-Teton NF. We saw another female sage grouse and tons of beautiful landscapes, plenty of birds, magpie, crows, bluebirds and robins, but not much wildlife. That was from 7 to around 4. From there we went to lupine valley in search of marmots and Pica. No such luck, but it was a beautiful hike. Lots of aspens with great fall color. Last stop was north river road in search or elk. No luck, but a spectacular sunset. On they way out of the park we saw a bull elk at the north entrance to the Teton loop road. It was fully dark by then, but he was still visible.
Day 3 Monday was much better for wildlife. We struck out for Gros Ventre in search of moose at 5:45am. On the way on antelopes flats road we found a female moose and calf. At GV 1 bull and 3 females were present for a good part of the morning. On our way our we found another female moose with twin calves. Next we took ditch creek road, fantastic road, but no sightings, other than a covey of roughed grouse and a male sage grouse. A quick trip up slide creek road and we found a wolf. He was a lone wolf that looked to be injured. He was 1000 yards out so photos are average. He had in injury to a front leg. He did howl for quite a long time, calling his pack I guess. From there we went into to Jackson to eat and buy requisite souvenirs. On to Moose Wilson road again. No bears today. From there we stopped at Blacktail ponds for a hike in the willows and schwabachers to look for beavers. They were not to be found, but good hikes nonetheless. Around 530pm we buzzed up to photograph Hendricks pond. Back to the Tetons loop road for an evening spin yielded a bull elk and harem of 4. Perfect fall color throughout the park, no signs of grizzlys. Sat high was 78 and sunny, Sunday high was 65 and cloudy, Monday was sunny and cloudy throughout the day with high of 56. Lows have been in the 20s.

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

Dorothy, we will be heading to Yellowstone on Wednesday and leaving Sat, so we may be there at the some days. We will be staying in Gardiner, mt. I plan on doing the Lamar valley and beartoothe Thursday. We drive a black gmc pickup 2015 with Nebraska plates. The plates are Army commemorative so they have the army logo on them.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Great report! Thanks so much. I can't wait to get there. I do hope we'll manage to get in touch while we're both at Yellowstone -- I'm not sure what we'll be driving (will be picking up rental car), but I'll watch for the black pickup with Nebraska army plates. Hope you continue to have a great trip.

One question -- what's the slide creek road? I've been up Ditch Creek before (at least, I think I have -- that the one leading to the Teton school?), but don't know slide creek and would like to try it if possible.

Anyway, good "hunting" (it's fun to hunt with a camera) and hope to see you in a few days.

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

You have actually probably been on it. It is really named Gros Ventre Road. I didn’t realize that. It is where Gros Ventre and antelope flats road meet. If you follow it, it goes up to lower slide lake and then on into the southern wind river range. Once you get to crystal creek camp ground, turn around and retrace your steps. My name is Wendy by the way. Traveling with my husband camera Sherpa :)

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

Day 4
Out the door by 6 to get to the Gros Ventre by sunrise. After driving down 26 staring at the full setting moon over the Tetons , we decided to make a quick stop for a photo. Horses were in the field at elk ranch flats pullout. Score for a very nice composition. On up the road around 6:50. On 89 a garbage truck decides to pass us just as a harem of 15-30 elk cross the highway stranding the bull. At the last minute he ran across as well, just missing being hit. They stayed near the road for about 10 min. We’re scared away by an idiot that pulled off the side of the road at 55 in a skid sideways dust cloud. We arrived at the GV area around 7:30. Nothing at the camp ground. Further west, we found a grazing female. Stayed with her for about 20 min and sure enough the big bull from the area stopped by. By 10am we left after some excellent shots. Saw a coyote on 89 around 11 and several female antelope being chased by a male near the cottonwood creek road. After lunch we had a quiet rest of the day. I will post photos when I return home next week. Tomorrow we are off to Yellowstone.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks for the reply and the report. Sounds like there's quite a bit to see in GT. SO glad the bull elk made it across -- it's silly to be passing people along 89 in the early morning/pre-sunrise hours. That would have been scary.

Wendy, hope you an hubby have a great trip up to Yellowstone and I WILL be looking for you! It would be fun to connect. But whatever, hope you havea great rest of your trip.