August 17-18

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike W.

August 17-18

Post by Mike W. »

Worst trip to the big park ever. Originally I had reservations for 5 days in a cabin at Old Faithful. But as time and closures wore on, I canceled as I didn't want to go all the way out to W Yellowstone to eat as all the restaurants were closed. Still booked a couple of nights at the Lazy G, in W Yell, which is modest, but I highly recommend, but just two nights. The whole 2 week trip, not just they Yellowstone leg was either smoky or rainy, and Yellowstone was rainy. Not heavy rain or a thunderstorms, the latter of which I would have enjoyed, just an overcast drizzle. Not much fun to be out hiking in, or for just car based sightseeing, or to take pictures. And our two dinners in W Yellowstone were 1, not so good, 2, pretty lousy. Oh well, at least we didn't get food poisoning. Nobody's fault, things just happen, I'm more whining than complaining.

But I have to admit we had it a whole lot better than the senior bikers next to us in the motel. A pair of older couples in a couple of rooms traveling by motorcycle that spent the 2 days we were there pretty much just cooped up in the motel room.

Gawd, I hope next year is better. I've got another 5 night stay booked at the OF Lodge cabins and I'm hoping for better weather and open restaurants! I know they don't get the best reviews, and we've had a few meals that were distinctly lacking, but overall we've mostly had very good meals at the lodge full restaurants.

RikWriter

Re: August 17-18

Post by RikWriter »

Is August the only month you can go?

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No, seems like July is the most common but I think we've hit June too. Full mid summer is good for us for a variety of reasons, and our trips to Yellowstone, half a dozen or more, are but one leg of vacation.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Sorry the trip was a bit of a washout for you. That can be a real bummer after planning and paying for a vacation. However, from a local perspective, it was such a relief to get some rain after such a dry summer. We relished getting any and all the moisture we could.

Hopefully, this next year will be better. But it is not starting out that way--very dry with little snow. The reservoirs are way down including Jackson Lake. So, hope we get lots of snow this winter, rain in the spring, and it clears up nicely for your trip!

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, nobody's fault, it's hard to get good weather every year on vacation, much as I might like it.

I do recall a similar comment, I think from the motel proprietors, about rain. Which being in Northern California I can appreciate. A couple of weeks later though we're looking better, more than last year in mid December, hoping it keeps going.