A few Raptors

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Nikon_nerd

A few Raptors

Post by Nikon_nerd »

A few raptor shots. Technically, only the eagle and vulture images are from within Yellowstone park boundaries. The other images are from just a little outside the park.

Feel free to leave comments. All comments welcome.

Patiently waiting
Taken along Madison river. Eagle is feeding on a pelican carcass.

Hey Mr. Eagle, can you leave a few crumbs for me ?

Red Tailed Hawk

So far I haven't been lucky enough to see a Great Gray owl. Therefore, all you get are these consolation owl images instead.

Great Horned owl that wasn't happy to have his picture taken.

How many owls can you find in this tree?

This is actually the owl's back, but since they can swivel their head around almost 180 degrees, it looks like you're viewing the front.

Hope you liked.
Last edited by Nikon_nerd on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.

karenandbill

Re: A few Raptors

Post by karenandbill »

I love the owl shots, especially the one with the head turned.

The turkey vultures are expanding north. I remember when we would never see one in the park. They are now becoming fairly common. I'm not thrilled to have them competing with the other carrion feeders. Not exactly sure why, but it has always been a relief to not have to consider the possibility of a vulture when we see a large bird soaring.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Yes, you don't want any part of those turkey buzzards flying into your car. As I was driving along around 70 mph one day here in Texas, I saw some birds on the right shoulder of the road in front of me. I mistakenly assumed they would fly away to the side as I got close, but one of them flew right up in front of me and bashed into my windshield on the passenger side, shattering the windshield and spreading glass shards inside. I think it was very close to coming through the windshield and I'm glad that nobody was riding in the passenger seat. They can really do some damage.

ImagePICT0479 by MDTshots, on Flickr

ImagePICT0480 by MDTshots, on Flickr

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

mdtrot wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am
Yes, you don't want any part of those turkey buzzards flying into your car. As I was driving along around 70 mph one day here in Texas, I saw some birds on the right shoulder of the road in front of me. I mistakenly assumed they would fly away to the side as I got close, but one of them flew right up in front of me and bashed into my windshield on the passenger side, shattering the windshield and spreading glass shards inside. I think it was very close to coming through the windshield and I'm glad that nobody was riding in the passenger seat. They can really do some damage.

ImagePICT0479 by MDTshots, on Flickr

ImagePICT0480 by MDTshots, on Flickr

I was driving near Sebring, FL and there was a roadkill deer in the highway covered with turkey vultures. There was a semi ahead of me and one of the buzzards didn't quite get clear of that carcass in time. Feathers just exploded off the front grill of that semi.