Sub-adult male grizzly - April 2022

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Nikon_nerd

Sub-adult male grizzly - April 2022

Post by Nikon_nerd »

It's with tremendous sadness I post these pictures of this young male sub-adult grizzly. He was such a beautiful and well-mannered bear that brought smiles and joy to many park visitors in the early Spring of 2022. He was often found digging in the ground in the northwest side of the park near Obsidian Creek.

Sadly, he was murdered by his own mother's new mate about four weeks after these images were taken.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=665

I've seen one video of the event and it was just sickening to watch.

Anyway, Nature can be extremely cruel. I will always remember how happy this little guy made me that afternoon he put on such a wonderful show.

I hope these images bring a little happiness your way.

Feel free to leave a comment. All comments welcome.

(The bear may seem extremely close to me in some of these images, but these images were taken with an extremely long telephoto lens and the images have also been cropped. No park distance rules were violated in order to capture these images.)

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Nikon_nerd on Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RikWriter

Re: Sub-adult male grizzly - April 2022

Post by RikWriter »

Yeah, between this and Beryl's COYs being killed by a boar, it was a depressing Spring. BTW, dude, this isn't Facebook...there are like a dozen people reading this forum. I doubt you have to give us a PSA about how far away you were. :lol:

Nikon_nerd

Post by Nikon_nerd »

RikWriter wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:09 pm
... BTW, dude, this isn't Facebook...there are like a dozen people reading this forum...
Yeah, kind of sad how few people are still around. I think there are still a lot of visitors/guests, but not too many posting members anymore.
RikWriter wrote:
... I doubt you have to give us a PSA about how far away you were. :lol:
I hope you're right, but people seem to go out of their way now days to find something to argue about. Just trying to be proactive.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Nikon_nerd wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:49 pm
RikWriter wrote:
... BTW, dude, this isn't Facebook...there are like a dozen people reading this forum...
Yeah, kind of sad how few people are still around. I think there are still a lot of visitors/guests, but not too many posting members anymore.
RikWriter wrote:
... I doubt you have to give us a PSA about how far away you were. :lol:
I hope you're right, but people seem to go out of their way now days to find something to argue about. Just trying to be proactive.
I use those as an opportunity to add to my blocked list on Facebook.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Well, I try not to get sentimental about such events because if this male got as big as the one that attacked him, he'd probably do the same thing in a similar situation. Excellent shots!

Nikon_nerd

Post by Nikon_nerd »

mdtrot wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:21 pm
Well, I try not to get sentimental about such events because if this male got as big as the one that attacked him, he'd probably do the same thing in a similar situation. Excellent shots!
Trust me, the male that killed him was 4 times as big as this little guy was. No way was it a fair fight. But it is what it is. Thanks for looking, and thanks for your comments.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Nikon_nerd wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 am
It's with tremendous sadness I post these pictures of this young male sub-adult grizzly. He was such a beautiful and well-mannered bear that brought smiles and joy to many park visitors in the early Spring of 2022. He was often found digging in the ground in the northwest side of the park near Obsidian Creek.
Yes, we saw this bear several times this spring. The last time it was bringing such joy to a several families. We let a couple of kids use our binoculars and they were so thrilled to get a closer view.
mdtrot wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:21 pm
Well, I try not to get sentimental about such events because if this male got as big as the one that attacked him, he'd probably do the same thing in a similar situation.
It is the way of nature and I agree, but it is sad because this bear seemed so well-behaved and visible. Also, animals have their own personalities. For whatever reason some are more aggressive than others and this boar was apparently very aggressive or was just having a bad day. Who knows???
RikWriter wrote:
Yeah, between this and Beryl's COYs being killed by a boar, it was a depressing Spring.

It has. We are in Banff right now and just last week another grizzly got killed on the highway. It was the sibling of the white "ghost bear". We have been hoping to see her, but so far, no luck. Apparently, she is the only known female left of the 8 in the Lake Louise area as of 2 years ago. They are worried about her because like her sibbling and mother, she has learned how to climb the fences designed to keep animals off the highway. Just shows how still fragile the grizzly populations can be.