Snow (the grizzly)

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Snow (the grizzly)

Post by RikWriter »

While I was there, I got a chance to see Snow up between Sylvan Lake and Lake Butte Overlook one morning. Later in the week, I witnessed the rangers hazing her away from the road with firecracker rounds from a shotgun. :cry: She's never caused any trouble and I have to wonder if they're doing it for traffic control reasons.

Nikon_nerd

Re: Snow (the grizzly)

Post by Nikon_nerd »

Wow, she's as pretty as ever. Surprised she didn't have her own cubs this year. Thanks for posting the images. She is one of the prettiest Yellowstone grizzlies.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Nikon_nerd wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:51 pm
Wow, she's as pretty as ever. Surprised she didn't have her own cubs this year. Thanks for posting the images. She is one of the prettiest Yellowstone grizzlies.
She's a little too young for her first litter, I think. Maybe 1-2 more years.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

RikWriter wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 pm
While I was there, I got a chance to see Snow up between Sylvan Lake and Lake Butte Overlook one morning. Later in the week, I witnessed the rangers hazing her away from the road with firecracker rounds from a shotgun. :cry: She's never caused any trouble and I have to wonder if they're doing it for traffic control reasons.
Yeah. This is rather upsetting. I witnessed the same thing last year. She was not on the main road but on the overlook. People were watching but at a safe distance. Two rangers came up and started chasing her shouting and banging on something in their hands. I felt this was totally unnecessary. Neither the bear nor the watchers were doing anything wrong. I just think the new Supt. does not want to use manpower to allow people to view bears that are near the roads.

For whatever reason they seem more tolerant of wolf watchers. Maybe they have more political clout.

--Bill

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

I'm sure it was Snow that we saw near Lake Butte overlook when we were there -- a very pretty bear! There were people parked along the road and a ranger was there, but she didn't haze the bear back from the road (at least, not while we were there). She was down in a gully, but at times was moving nearer the road (at other times, moving back toward the treeline). I was so excited to see her, as we never did see her with mom when she was young. Thanks for your great photos of her!

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

Great pictures Rik! Thanks for sharing.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

Great pictures Rik! Thanks for sharing.