Photographing Elk in the fall

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

wapiti

Photographing Elk in the fall

Post by wapiti »

After the fall of 2011, I gave up on trying to photograph the elk rut in YNP and GTNP due to the proliferation of the wolf's presence. Has anything changed in the past 8 years? In the past, there were locations in both parks where one was certain to find bull elk. It seems that those days are long gone. I miss the days of 15 yrs ago.

RikWriter

Re: Photographing Elk in the fall

Post by RikWriter »

I see bull elk every time I go to the parks.

Max

Post by Max »

There are plenty of elk around in the GYE, as Rick said, but the wolves are still here too (only half their 2007 population). The elk population of the northern herd has been fairly steady, around 6000-7000 the last couple years (it actually came in much higher than expected two years ago). Since it was the wolves' fault you couldn't find anything, you'd surely still be disappointed though. Maybe try Colorado.

Max

obradallen

Post by obradallen »

I totally agree Max. I usually go to GTNP in late September that’s the best action around. Have you tried RMNP?

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

October of 2018 in the Tetons:

October of 2017 Pelican Valley:

September of 2016 near the Madison:

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Had a huge bull elk last September posing along and in the Madison. Two big herds with bugling bulls in Hayden a couple years ago. Looks like those dang wolves missed a few.

Doubledub

Post by Doubledub »

I was there fall of 2018 and saw hundreds of elk in both Yellowstone and GTNP. Many Bulls with their Harem and several challenger bulls. I was there this spring of 2019 and saw thousands migrating. I also saw a lone wolf in pacific creek and several in Lamar valley. Start at the Mammoth Hotel if you can't find any. I also was in RMNP last weekend and saw 8 distinct bulls.

Winona

Post by Winona »

Just returned from YNP, GT, and RMNP! Not my favorite time of year, but we went when we could. In YNP saw a bull elk on the edge of the road ( too close for a picture except the iPhone), and a bull with his girls along the Madison 2 different times. RMNP saw a few. One bull hung out 2 different nights in Morraine Valley. Nice rack but too dark for my set up. Saw some along the road here and there.