Information Wanted - Canon 500 f/4 L IS 11 Worth all of the Hype? Updated... 4-18-2018

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

pugman170

Information Wanted - Canon 500 f/4 L IS 11 Worth all of the Hype? Updated... 4-18-2018

Post by pugman170 »

I have been thinking about upgrading to the new version of the Canon 500 Lens. I currently own and use Canon 500 Version 1 and like it very much. The new Canon 500 has been out long enough now for people to try and I would be interested in everyone's opinion on the subject, Pro's... Con's... everything you have to offer. If you know of ways to buy the new version and save some money that info would be great too. For those of you who have purchased one of the new lenses be it the 500 or 600 was it worth the investment? would you purchase one again? What are your thoughts on the subject.... Spring is almost here and I am ready for some Grizzly action..... but what lens do I use this year? Please help me to decide.
Last edited by pugman170 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doubledub

Re: Information Wanted - Canon 500 f/4 L IS 11 Worth all of the Hype?

Post by Doubledub »

I would recommend googling reviews and looking at You tube. They have much good information out there from reputable photographers. I had decided on the 600 II, but at the last minute switched to Sony. You can pick up good quality used copies from Keh, Adorama, B &H as well as Bird as Art blog has a used gear section. You need to be patient, but they do come available every so often. I love both of the lenses, excellent, super sharp and much lighter than their v1 counter parts. Now I just have to wait for Sony to make one or adapt a Canon version!

Max

Post by Max »

I'm not sure if it's worth the sizable investment to get the version II if you already have the version I, unless size and weight are a considerable issue for you. In my case, I went from the 500mm vI to the 600mm vII. If I wanted to stick with 500mm, I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the old one. The new versions are excellent, and they do save you in terms of weight and length, but it is a costly trade.

Max

scottwilkes

Post by scottwilkes »

I tend to agree with Max. I had the 500mm M I and when I decided to upgrade, I looked at the 500, 600 and 800. I decided on the 600mm f/4 Mark II. It's a great lens and is definitely clearer than my older 500. But, that is absolutely your choice. I have an indulgent wife who let me spend the money on the 600 (if I got great shots with it!). But, if it came down to a choice between the 500mm Mark II and the 600mm Mark II, I would go for the 600. It's a little bit more, but you just can't beat the range, especially with a 1.4 or 2.0 Mark III extender on it!

Scott

pugman170

Post by pugman170 »

Thank you for everyone who have posted a comment.... It is a big decision, and any information is greatly appreciated. After reading some and hearing the comments so far I am now in a mental struggle between my pocket book and the 600 F/4 V11. I am in this for the long haul now and I should look at it that way. I have purchased many lenses over the years always trying to save money and in the end I always seem to compromise somewhere, and money is always the problem, in the end never really getting what I want. Maybe this time I will take the advise of the more experienced people on this forum and do it right this time.

Thank you again and any and all comments are welcome... Do you know of any ways to save some money on buying these lenses? What are some favorite and secure places to buy online? Also is the online store..www.abesofmaine.com

Is this website real? or should I stay away from it? Any other places besides B&H, Adorama, Canon to shop ?

F55

Post by F55 »

I went from 500 v1 to 600 v2. Never regretted it.
Look at greentoe.com
Yeah, at first I thought it was shady, but it's legit. I bought 2 lenses through them. Saved significant $.
Guaranteed new, full US warranty and 30 day returns (no questions asked.) Yup, sounds too good, but it is legit.
Good luck

PS No connection with greentoe - just a satisfied customer.

pugman170

Post by pugman170 »

Question.... When you ad the 1.4 extender to the new 500/600 is the auto focus slowed down any versus using the lens without it? I rented the new 600 and Not sure if the auto focus on this rental had a problem or not, but there were times when this lens had trouble auto focusing on stationary things. When using one shot focus it had trouble getting auto focus when I focused in the" FULL Mode" and when I focused on something close, then move out a little farther, then way out, then returned back to medium range and the close... Auto focus close to far then back to close, there were times where I had to manually focus the lens close to where I wanted focus to be the Auto focus would kick in.... My old lens never did that.... Is that something I should expect with the new version of this lens? There were times when auto focus worked but I still couldn't take the picture like the camera didn't see focus enough to allow the shutter to work. I found myself wanting to manually focus a lot more that I should have to, I should expect with the new Version of these lenses or is maybe the auto focus motor going out on the rental?

Any thoughts on the matter?

Also as a side Note:Looked at "Greentoe" site and that place creep-ed me out, they couldn't get into my wallet fast enough and never gave you the information they promised in the way they advertise... Buyer beware here....

To be clear here, I reached out to them and inquired on a product. They gave me a quote via text a short time later. I excepted the offer. They immediately, via text wanted my visa # without giving me any info on who it was thru, a promise they say when you make the offer. After pressing the issue, they say it was with Adaroma, a company which was closed. I asked them via text how they got the offer when the company was closed, they said nothing and continued to press for visa payment, none of which I would give them. The experience seemed like it was all about them getting the money without transparency, I politely asked them to go away.....
Last edited by pugman170 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F55

Post by F55 »

600 v2 + 1.4x v3= no difference in speed or accuracy of focus
600 v2 + 2x v3= Slight slowdownin speed but still accurate

Used FoCal to MA all combos lenses/TC’s/camera bodies.

Using 5D4 and 7D2 (but no 2x TC ON 7D2)

Not sure what “creeps” you out about Greentoe but I have bought 2 expensive lenses and a few other things through them. Returned one item (not lens) without any problem (I didn’t like the item). I know several people who use them-no problems. You can always reverse charges on your credit card if there is a problem. I couldn’t find any bad reviews about their service. Of course, you must do what makes you feel comfortable.
:)

pugman170

Re: Information Wanted - Canon 500 f/4 L IS 11 Worth all of the Hype? Updated... 4-18-2018

Post by pugman170 »

Thank you for the input on this matter from all who offered up information....

I thought long and hard on this matter and after trying out the new Canon 600 f/4 L IS 11 Well, I was sold... Without your input I never thought about it at all. Glad I looked into it before buying the new 500. All I can say is I am very pleased and I will be having a lot of fun with this thing.. It arrived yesterday and I can't wait to use it. Now I have to work a lot more than I want too because my wallet is screaming....

For those who may consider these lenses, do your homework, compare prices from multiple retailers. I compared Adorama and B&H, both compete among each other, call them and ask them to make a package deal - accessories, warranty, shipping etc, and I think you may be surprised at what they may do for you. I bought from B&H and saved a bundle..... :D

Happy clicking.... Thanks again to all who helped....

yellvet

Re: Information Wanted - Canon 500 f/4 L IS 11 Worth all of the Hype? Updated... 4-18-2018

Post by yellvet »

I'm so glad that you decided to get the 600 . You won't regret it! It's been on my "drool list" ever since it came out. The carry weight, was the only thing that kept me from getting one, especially, when I started having some health problems. But I'm getting better with each passing day, so the 600 is back on my "want list". Been dealing with B and H Photo for over 2 decades and you won't find a better company. Not only are the employees knowledgeable but, in the past, the company was always really good about letting me try out 2 or 3 lenses at no charge just so I could decide which one that I wanted. They would even include a return authorization so I could return the lens (es) that I didn't want. You won't find a finer company that is so accommodating to a photographer and that is so price competitive. So, when I get my 600, it's going to come from B & H Photo. And "no", I am not a B & H employee. I'm just a long-time customer who has always appreciated their great service, follow-up and pricing. :)