We are moving to Wyoming...just an hour and a half from the park

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

We are moving to Wyoming...just an hour and a half from the park

Post by RikWriter »

So we did it. House is set to close near the end of October, moving company is called, new house picked out and an earnest paid, all the ducks in a row as long as everyone's inspections go okay. God willing and the crick don't rise, we'll be residents of Powell come the end of next month.

yellvet

Re: We are moving to Wyoming...just an hour and a half from the park

Post by yellvet »

Hey hey....welcome to God's country! Looking forward to meeting you and your wife. :)

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

The best part besides being this close to Yellowstone is that we'll only be a day's drive from Glacier as well. Been 11 years since I visited there.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Good for you and your wife! So glad you will be able to get in the park more often. We'll have to meet up for another hike. Powell is a nice area and is a short rive to some amazing places. There are some beautiful spots in the Bighorns which is not too far to the east. 'We have explored there just enough to whet our appetites for more. Also, along Chief Joseph Hwy and the Beartooths are close as well. I think you may find it similar to what Karen and I have found. We moved to Island Park to be close to the park but discovered places outside the park that were fantastic as well. You are in a great area.
If there is anything we can do to help with the transition, please let us know.

--Bill

rpontius

Post by rpontius »

Welcome to the neighborhood! When I first retired to Cody Yellowstone was a big draw but with the increased visitation I find it increasingly a pain to photograph there in the summer. To second the comments of others I'm finding an amazing amount of wildlife photography available in the area that is pretty much untouched. Yellowstone is the big flashing attraction but don't let blind you to other local possibilities.
RP

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Rik, would you care to share how you settled on Powell, as opposed to some of the other towns in the area, such as Cody or Lovell? If not, no problem.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

mdtrot wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:01 pm
Rik, would you care to share how you settled on Powell, as opposed to some of the other towns in the area, such as Cody or Lovell? If not, no problem.
Powell seemed to have the perfect combination of being far enough away from the tourist town to still have a little isolation even in the summer while being close enough to avail ourselves of the services there. The other option was Dubois, but being 80 miles away from the nearest airport, full-scale supermarket, car dealership, etc... was a bit too isolated for us.

smiley

Post by smiley »

Good for you and your wife! Hope all goes according to your plans.
Mark :D

bsinc1962

Post by bsinc1962 »

RikWriter wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 pm
mdtrot wrote:
Powell seemed to have the perfect combination of being far enough away from the tourist town to still have a little isolation even in the summer while being close enough to avail ourselves of the services there. The other option was Dubois, but being 80 miles away from the nearest airport, full-scale supermarket, car dealership, etc... was a bit too isolated for us.
It does take a bit of planning living here in Dubois. It does keep the crowds down though. Congrats on the move.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

bsinc1962 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm
RikWriter wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 pm
mdtrot wrote:
It does take a bit of planning living here in Dubois. It does keep the crowds down though. Congrats on the move.
I'm not expecting too much in the way of crowds in Powell either, though I gotta admit, the population is a bit more than in Dubois!