Wolf Hazing

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

smiley

Wolf Hazing

Post by smiley »

We were in Yellowstone May 18th - 23rd. We stayed at Canyon a couple days and I believe early morning on the 22nd we were driving south just around the turn at Grizzly Overlook. There crossing the road or trying was a grey wolf. There were a few cars pulled over and a white truck with a government sticker on the door stopped in the middle of the road. The driver was out of the truck with some sort of rifle and to my surprise ripped off I bet 10 to 20 shots at the wolf. (I'm sure not lethal ammo) He couldn't move fast enough up the hill and out of site. We came back and sat at a pullout near there and didn't see the wolf again so I assume the wolf went toward the den site to the west out of sight.
The wolves cross the road regularly hunting and bringing food back to their den. I have observed them on both sides of the road. This wolf was doing his thing, in his territory, not in Canyon village or around human territory. Is that normal procedure or treatment of the wolves in Canyon area. It sure was disappointing to observe.
Thanks
Mark

RikWriter

Re: Wolf Hazing

Post by RikWriter »

Yeah, they've been doing the same thing in the Lamar. It's disgusting and I wish I had the power to fire whatever idiot is responsible for it.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Wish I knew the thought process behind doing this. As you pointed out, it's just a wolf acting like a wolf -- yes, it can be dangerous if wolves are crossing the roads a lot, but then maybe just set up flashing signs asking motorists to be especially careful because of wildlife crossings, or something similar, as a wolf does need to cover its territory.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Yes, this is in response to one of the young wolves coming close to a family in a picnic area last year. It is way overkill in my opinion. This is the approach with bears as well. We were observing Snow, the grizzly, along Lake Overlook. All the observers, as well as the bear, were acting appropriately. Two rangers drove up, got out of their vehicle, and started yelling, blowing an airhorn, and chased the bear up over the hill. Also hazed away the Obsidian Sow that year. When I asked a ranger about it, he said it was creating too much traffic and emergency vehicles couldn't get through. Not a credible response. (What about the bison jams???) The times I observed, yes there were lots of cars, but everyone was off the road. Part of the problem is they put cones up in the pullouts so no one can park. I realize it is a challenge, but the new superintendent, Cam Sholly, is way overmanaging in my opinion. The park is for the people. Teton does a better job, even with all the problems caused by 399, allowing people to safely observe the wildlife.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I read about this a few months ago in the Billings Gazette,it is in response to wolves getting too close to humans,following them,and getting to close to the road(stealing traffic cones)

Here's the article with the NPS/NWS response from Doug Smith

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state- ... e5810.html

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

It's a dumbass, knee-jerk response that will do nothing to help the problem.

smiley

Post by smiley »

I agree with Rik's descriptive words. I also agree there is overmanaging by the Superintendent.
A particular wolf gets to close to people, it may need a lesson. It sounds like and appears not all wolves being treated this way are problems. Not all wolves need hazing, they are just going about their business.
Hazing the wolves out of the park isn't good for the wolves or the program that brought them back.
Thanks for all the responses. :D