Mid-May trip 2021

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

smiley

Mid-May trip 2021

Post by smiley »

Greetings,
We have never been to the park in May and are planning a trip with a May 18th arrival. If we fly into Jackson Hole and we stay in Mammoth, are roads generally open in the park so we could make the trip from the southern entrance through the park to Mammoth?
Thanks Mark

RikWriter

Re: Mid-May trip 2021

Post by RikWriter »

The road from the south entrance through to Mammoth should be open the first week in May.

smiley

Post by smiley »

RikWriter,
Thank you for the quick response and answer!
Mark

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

smiley wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 pm
RikWriter,
Thank you for the quick response and answer!
Mark
No problem! Wish I could see you there, but I believe I am flying out about the same time you're getting in.

Mike

Post by Mike »

2021 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting roads will open at 8 am on the following dates:

April 16: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
May 7: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
May 14: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass).
May 28: Beartooth Highway

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Mike wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:01 pm
2021 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting roads will open at 8 am on the following dates:

April 16: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
May 7: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
May 14: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass).
May 28: Beartooth Highway

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm
Holy crap, that's about the latest I have ever seen them open the south entrance road! I guess when I go down to the Tetons on the 12th, I'll have to take the pass through from West Yellowstone.

smiley

Post by smiley »

Thanks for the Road updates and link. We ended up flying into Bozeman May 18 and leave out of there May 28. We go to the Tetons May 23 so should be okay road wise, barring weather delays. We have never been out here that early so we are excited for the trip. I hope all have safe strips with great wildlife sightings. :D
Mark