Considering moving to Wyoming

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Considering moving to Wyoming

Post by RikWriter »

We are going to be moving sometime between now and the end of summer, good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, and one of the places we've been considering is Wyoming. My wife is a pharmacist and needs to find a job out there. Does anyone know of any pharmacy job openings in the Sheridan or Cody area? Long shot I know, but it's the main thing standing in our way.

yellvet

Re: Considering moving to Wyoming

Post by yellvet »

Rik, if you do a Google Search using the phrase "Pharmacist job openings in MT (or WY), you'll find a number of openings. Lots of pharmacist job openings right now because of Covid. As far as taxes goes, WY probably has the lowest overall tax burden in the country for residents. MT on the other hand has one of the highest state income tax rates in the country. But MT also doesn't have a state sales tax. So it's a bit of a trade off. I moved to MT in 1978 and have never ever regretted it. pj

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

yellvet wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 am
Rik, if you do a Google Search using the phrase "Pharmacist job openings in MT (or WY), you'll find a number of openings. Lots of pharmacist job openings right now because of Covid. As far as taxes goes, WY probably has the lowest overall tax burden in the country for residents. MT on the other hand has one of the highest state income tax rates in the country. But MT also doesn't have a state sales tax. So it's a bit of a trade off. I moved to MT in 1978 and have never ever regretted it. pj
I found openings statewide, but not near the cities I'd like to be near. Also I don't want to do Montana because I am trying to stick with the dryer parts of Wyoming where they don't get a ton of snow every winter.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Rik, That's neat that you are looking to relocate out in this area. We love the Island Park, Idaho area, but if you are looking to avoid the heavy snow, this place isn't it! We haven't spent a full winter here yet, but have spent some short stays every year and we have had up to four feet of the white stuff at times! We don't have any connections in the areas of Wyoming that you are looking, but if we hear of anything, we will let you know.

You have some beautiful areas near Sheridan/Cody. Have you spent time in the Bighorn Mtns? They are stunning in spots. And, of course, Chief Joseph Hwy is one of the most beautiful roads in the US. Hope it works out for you and your wife.

--Bill

rpontius

Post by rpontius »

You might also consider Powell, Wyoming about 25 miles ENE of Cody. Last week a friend (who is a retired pharmacist) mentioned that Albertsons is building a store there complete with a pharmacy. Might be worth looking into. Other towns to consider would also be Lovell, Greybull and Basin. Worland and Thermopolis would be a little farther but also decent locations. While further from Yellowstone in the winter, Riverton might also be desirable and is closer to Jackson in the winter. Lander is usually considered nicer but also tends to get more snow in the winter.
RP