Thoughts on third week of Sept for YNP, Bozeman, Big Sky?

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

mdtrot

Thoughts on third week of Sept for YNP, Bozeman, Big Sky?

Post by mdtrot »

I'd be looking to view wildlife in the north side of YNP, on those roads that run south out of Bozeman, the national park and forest roads off of 191, and perhaps check out the Big Sky area. Any tips greatly appreciated. Or, if this is a bad plan, let me know.

billandkaren

Re: Thoughts on third week of Sept for YNP, Bozeman, Big Sky?

Post by billandkaren »

I have traveled Hwy 191 a number of times but have not done much exploring off the highway. I have seen a bighorn ram, deer, elk, and a moose along 191 but that has been it. In my experience on the forest service roads in other areas around the park, it is really tough to see animals. It does happen on occasion but it is very random at best. And once you see them, they don't hang around. Your lucky if you get a rear end look at them bounding away.

We did travel FS Road 986 once. It is about 1 mile north of where Hwy 287 intersects 191. It climbs north and west off of 191 for at least 5 miles. A lot of it was forested so it was difficult to see much. The road started getting pretty scetchy near the top, so we didn't make it to the end.

We also did FS Rd 791 just east of 191 off 287. We did see a brief glimpse of black bear butt, a grouse and several western tanangers. There are two trails and we hiked one out to a pond. There were some good views.

Hwy 89 is better from my experience than 191, especially around Corwin Springs and Old Yelowstone Trail. However, I don't think the animals will have migrated out of the park by the time you are there. I did see 2 bighorn rams raise up and crash their horns along Old Yellowstone Trail. But I think that was in November.

Sorry I can't give you more info, but that's all we have done in that area.

Bill

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Thanks, I appreciate the tips!

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

I'm now thinking about late October for this visit. What's it like around Bozeman and the north side of YNP at that time? I do not have an all wheel drive vehicle. Thanks!

Max

Post by Max »

You may have snow, obviously, but with the exception of a huge snowstorm, accumulation is still fairly low. The northern road should still be drivable without four wheel drive, keeping in mind that they still break out the snow plows if there's a big storm anyway. Take it slow in colder conditions and you should be fine.

Activity-wise... I think it's pretty slow at that time of year, but you may still see a lingering bear or two, could have some luck with other species. Mid-late October is often hot and cold in terms of sightings. One week may be outstanding, the next week dead. It'll be a mixed bag.

Max

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Max wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:21 am
You may have snow, obviously, but with the exception of a huge snowstorm, accumulation is still fairly low. The northern road should still be drivable without four wheel drive, keeping in mind that they still break out the snow plows if there's a big storm anyway. Take it slow in colder conditions and you should be fine.

Activity-wise... I think it's pretty slow at that time of year, but you may still see a lingering bear or two, could have some luck with other species. Mid-late October is often hot and cold in terms of sightings. One week may be outstanding, the next week dead. It'll be a mixed bag.

Max
Thanks much!

rzrpirate

Post by rzrpirate »

Bozeman will definitely have a lot of good craft beer. That would be a sure thing :lol:

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

It could be fine or it could be a mess. We were just out there and had two days of snow and three days of decent weather. I'd be really careful without 4-wheel drive, especially if you are going off the main road. Have you thought about renting a 4WD vehicle? At this time of year you can usually get some pretty good deals and you save the miles/wear-and-tear off your own vehicle. We do this on occasion and it works out well.

Bill

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

billandkaren wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 pm
It could be fine or it could be a mess. We were just out there and had two days of snow and three days of decent weather. I'd be really careful without 4-wheel drive, especially if you are going off the main road. Have you thought about renting a 4WD vehicle? At this time of year you can usually get some pretty good deals and you save the miles/wear-and-tear off your own vehicle. We do this on occasion and it works out well.

Bill
Thanks, Bill and all,

I decided to run up to southern Colorado this week to check out the area, so I guess I'll forgo the YNP/Bozeman trip for now. The area around South Fork is really nice, the weather was fantastic and the fall colors were in full effect. I'll try to post some pics in the Non Yellowstone board.