Lamar River Crossing

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

Lamar River Crossing

Post by Mike »

Getting very close to being in the park and plan on hiking out in the are near Chalcedony Cr and the Lamar River.Is there a bridge that crosses the Lamar River and that goes up to Specimen Ridge trail ?

I know there is going to be very high water at the time I am in the park and I will not risk any crossing that is dangerous as I am leading a hike with others

Steve

Re: Lamar River Crossing

Post by Steve »

I don't think there is a bridge. You know about the one at the confluence over Soda Butte creek. Probably a pretty risky ford across the Lamar.
You can come in the other way at the trail head in Little America.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks Steve,I thought I had read a hiking guide that said the crossing was not doable till later in the year,but I wasn't sure.

I am trying to find a nice short hike to get out away from the road and give a good perspective of a open area,does anyone have a hike that fits that ? I will be in the park next week so a lot of places will be not available,Hayden Valley closed,Blacktail closed BMA,Glenn Creek/Gardiner River might have too much snow cover.Anybody have a favorite hike that can be done early season ?

Steve

Post by Steve »

You can still go with plan A , just don't cross the river. Cross the footbridge, and head south. About a mile out, the trail will fork. One goes across the river, the other goes east for quite a ways. There's and extinct thermal area out there near the fork, and a more active area another 1/4 mile or so beyond that. Great views of Druid Peak and the valley to the west.