Your thoughts on Campsites near Lamar Valley

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

dads2vette

Your thoughts on Campsites near Lamar Valley

Post by dads2vette »

I have all of my stay at Yellowstone booked. At reserved campsites.
Here's the itinerary:
May/30-6/4 Grand Teton...so you Know where I'm coming
June/4-10 Bridge Bay Campground
June/10-12 Red Lodge Pollard Hotel
June/12-17 Canyon Campground*****
June/17-23 Madison
June/23-29 Canyon
June/29 Three Forks, MT heading to Glacier.

The first Canyon campground stay(*) is a fall back in case I can't get a first come first camp site after my stay in Red Lodge. I'm guessing it might be tough seeing it's the middle of June and I'll be getting there mid day at the earliest. I'd like to get one of the sites near Lamar Valley for some early morning photography. Which is your favorite? I will try to get a a cabin In Roosevelt for 6/12 just to get a jump on the first come sites early on the 13th.

Any thoughts on this?
thanks,
Dave

Max

Re: Your thoughts on Campsites near Lamar Valley

Post by Max »

Canyon's a perfect central location so if that's your fallback you're in good shape. You'll undoubtedly want to explore sites to the south (Hayden, Lake), so there's nothing wrong with being based there at that time of year.

Max

dads2vette

Post by dads2vette »

Thanks Max,
Since that post I was able to secure 1 night in a Roosevelt cabin the night after I leave Red Lodge. I would guess I'll have a better chance to get a site at one of the first come first camped sites nearer Lamar Valley. Luckily, I still have another week In Canyon after Madison.

dave

Mike

Post by Mike »

Are you tent camping or RV/Trailer camping ? I personally think your going to spend too much time moving to new camp,setting up camp,taking down camp,checking in,these take up a lot more time that could be activity time.I would find a camp in the Northern Range like Pebble,Slough,Tower for some good wildlife viewing or stay at Roosevelt,but I would like at least 2 days in the Lamar Valley.You have a lot of time in the park and if wildlife is a important part of your plans you might want to be more flexible,Hayden Valley might have good action or it might be flipped with the Lamar having all the action, and then a camp ground that is central to the southern part of the park,Madison is a good choice to be central to the Old Faithful area,to Canyon and to Mammoth.The camps near the Lake,Bridge Bay/West Thumb area are good access to the lake and Hayden Valley,going out to Cody and to a lesser degree Old Faithful.
I would try to base at Canyon,it's the one in the middle of the "8" and no matter where you set your camp almost any of the scenic areas is going to be about a 30 mile drive.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sorry for the double post
Last edited by Mike on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dads2vette

Post by dads2vette »

Hey Mike,
About 90% tent camping. I was debating on converting my truck bed into a camper, as I'll be doing more of these trips in the coming years but, I'm not sure my knees and back would enjoy that.

I will admit that the only thing worse than taking down or setting up a camp is having to do them on the same day. That being said I have a fairly simple camp. Having to have reservations made this far in advance makes it near impossible to guess where the best viewing areas will be at that time of year. Hopefully, with the luxury of having so much time in Yellowstone I won't miss my must do/see items. I'm trying not to drive around looking for stuff. I'm one of those folks who lets the parks come to them. I'll be spending time in Hayden Valley, Madison river fishing a bit, Old faithful geyser area, Lamar Valley and Mammoth Hot Springs when I'm closest to those areas. Although I always make rather detailed schedules for vacations I am never bound to them. You never know when something cool might happen.

Just so you know where I am on camping...I never camped except for a few nights in the backyard as a kid. My mobility can severely limit me at times so I'm a "truck camper" carrying lots of gear that mostly stays in the truck except when needed. Since moving to Arizona 4 years ago I've camped close to 400 nights mostly in very remote locations. Tho I don't like setting up, I'm much better at it now. At times I swear I'd rather burn my stuff than pack it up. I quickly learned that as soon as you don't need something during "pack it up" morning, put it away the night before.

At no time during my trip do I have to worry about quickly packing up and getting to a first come/first camped site. I can take it nice and easy.

dave

Mike

Post by Mike »

Dave,I was in the same situation,tent camper for 50 years and then the legs went out on me.So I fixed up my truck and camp out of that.I have a shell and a "Sportsmen" carpet kit.This type of set up is great for dispersed camping,short overnight stays,and even long stays.Everything is in storage boxes that can slide out and into most bear boxes.

I would have to say that I really love Slough Creek for camping in or near the Lamar Valley,it's more remote location makes it desirable,the drive in I have seen just about all the larger fauna,from bears to bighorns,wolves to bison.Getting a site in June will be difficult.June 12th is a Wednesday so being mid week will help a little.

dads2vette

Post by dads2vette »

Did you have a more accessible way into the bed of your truck or did you just hop on the tailgate? If you have pics I'd like to see them. I'm currently removing the back seat and putting in shelves, lock boxes and storage compartments for a cooler, photography and fishing supplies. I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in a couple years and am considering something that I can convert to a camper.

dave

Mike

Post by Mike »

Here is my old truck that was really good set up,it had a pass through door that made it much easier to enter and exit,it also had a carpet kit with storage boxes along the side.I also benefited from a mid rise shell and a 8' bed

My new truck has only a cab height shell and a 6 1/2' bed.So where I lost storage space with the long bed I now have a 4 door truck where I fold the rear seats up and store my camera gear,laptop and other more fragile items.The camp equipment goes underneath the raised bed in storage boxes

The tailgate just folds down and the truck is a 4x4 so it sits much higher,usually I sit on the tailgate and swing my legs up and roll. Attemps to try to step up on the tailgate results in cracking knees and hip,there is a spot to the sides I can step on the bumper thats a little easier.You can see that I took a old web strap,can be from a old pack,old climbing equipment,or even a old dog leash and I screwed it down with a large flat washer so when I am in the truck I can pull up the tail gate with ease,with out that strap your back will/could take a beating.

There are assist devices that make it easier to get in to the bed of a truck like https://www.bestop.com/trekstep or https://traxionproducts.com/products/tailgate-ladder
This set up is best for a solo camper,with two people it's like sleeping in a 3 man backpacking tent.If you need even more storage than you have with a truck you can add roof racks or even trailer hitch basket