Radio Scanner Frequencies

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

TeeJay

Re: Radio Scanner Frequencies

Post by TeeJay »

I have a question.

I currently have a Baofeng radio, and use it for wolf watching while I'm in the park. Last year I got an approved unit number, and wanted to know if there is anything special I need to program on my radio to be able to transmit. I know the frequency is 464.500. Is there any special setting I need to change in order to transmit, or do I simply "press the button and speak?"

Mike

Post by Mike »

You should be directing any questions to the Control Operator(s),I believe that is Jim Halfpenny K9YNP that has the FCC licence that you will be working under.They can tell you if they use any tone,what power limit there is on that band,and if you need to conclude your transmission with the call sign.I say this because the licence holder is responsible for all units transmitting under their licence.

Short answer your to your question is your radio should be good to go,no tone,8w max power,and end Tx with "unit # * clear",I have never in 20 years heard anyone give out the call sign of the wolf watchers,just unit numbers,but again I say talk to the licence holder on proper operation under their licence and make sure that your radio is FCC Part 90 Approved

Mike
WRDK334

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay »

Mike wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:41 pm
You should be directing any questions to the Control Operator(s),I believe that is Jim Halfpenny K9YNP that has the FCC licence that you will be working under.They can tell you if they use any tone,what power limit there is on that band,and if you need to conclude your transmission with the call sign.I say this because the licence holder is responsible for all units transmitting under their licence.

Short answer your to your question is your radio should be good to go,no tone,8w max power,and end Tx with "unit # * clear",I have never in 20 years heard anyone give out the call sign of the wolf watchers,just unit numbers,but again I say talk to the licence holder on proper operation under their licence and make sure that your radio is FCC Part 90 Approved

Mike
WRDK334
Thanks Mike.

I got my unit number last year and had no problems with my radio receiving frequencies. I had a much shorter trip in the park than usual last year as we hit a lot of other parks in Utah and Colorado. I'll be back in the park this Tuesday and will have 2 weeks there, and will be back to spending most of my time looking for wolves and bears. My radio is FCC approved and figured it shouldn't have any issues transmitting, but I never got a chance to test it last year.

I am familiar with how I need to begin and end my transmissions, so I was just checking. Of course I could just ask when I get to the park, lol. Thanks again for the info.