Harlequin Ducks

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

utdan123

Harlequin Ducks

Post by utdan123 »

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here knows when the Harlequin Ducks show up at Lahardy Rapids? I am going to be going up May 4th the day you are able to get to that area but looking on EBIRD I am unable to tell if they are around this early. Part of me is thinking is that because of the road not being open or are they not in this early.
Thanks

Max

Re: Harlequin Ducks

Post by Max »

Could happen that early. On average they are there by the second week to mid-May in their greatest numbers. I've seen late-comers into mid-June.

Max

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Max is right. I think your best bet would be in May. I looked for the Harlequins for years in June but only saw them once. I was always a bit too late. However I've often seen the great blue herons and their colony of nests just north of LeHardy Rapids....very cool. You'll also find a few trumpeter swans floating on the ponds over by Alum Creek and along the Firehole River in Biscuit Basin....they're absolutely gorgeous in the early morning light!

utdan123

Post by utdan123 »

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping that I am lucky and some will be there in the first weekend of May.

Loonphotog

Post by Loonphotog »

I had 3 pairs there May 12, 2016....