GTNP/YNP early October trip...

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

mdtrot

GTNP/YNP early October trip...

Post by mdtrot »

Hi all, it looks like I'll make into GTNP and possibly YNP at the first of October. Can anybody tell me if the elk rut will still be on? Where is the best place to find them in GTNP? Also, are the chances decent to see grizzly bear around Pacific Creek Road and/or Pilgrim Creek Road at that time? Any other suggestions for grizzly or elk viewing at that time? Many thanks for any tips!

RikWriter

Re: GTNP/YNP early October trip...

Post by RikWriter »

The elk rut will be winding down but you might catch some bugling. In GTNP, they can be anywhere at that time of year.
The chances of seeing a grizz on Pacific or Pilgrim Creek are very good in October.
Another place to see them might be down the Pelican Valley trail.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

RikWriter wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 am
The elk rut will be winding down but you might catch some bugling. In GTNP, they can be anywhere at that time of year.
The chances of seeing a grizz on Pacific or Pilgrim Creek are very good in October.
Thanks very much, I'll have to figure out where Pelican Valley Trail is.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

mdtrot wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:10 pm
RikWriter wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 am
Thanks very much, I'll have to figure out where Pelican Valley Trail is.
It's down past Fishing Bridge almost to Mary Bay.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

We've seen some good elk rut behavior in October up in Mammoth. Just depends on the year. There are chances to see (and hear) elk down near West Thumb, around Canyon, of course, Mammoth (and toward Gardiner), Swan Lake Flats and coming out of West Yellowstone toward Madison Junction. We've gone to Yellowstone/Grand Teton in early October several times and have seen elk rut behaviors many times.

Have also seen some bears -- as Rikwriter mentioned, near Pilgrim Ceek and around Pacific Creek (and up Two-Ocean Lake road), and still some bears around Moose-Wilson sometimes.

We've enjoyed our October visits -- often see Moose in the sage flats near Gros Ventre in GT, lots of bison, often coyotes, etc. Just keep your eyes open!

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

I made it to Pinedale and am staying in a hotel here tonight and then leaving tomorrow morning for Idaho Falls to pick up my son at the airport. BTW, the China Gourmet restaurant in Pinedale is really good! My son and I will be in and around Idaho falls for three days and head to Jackson on Sunday morning. Based on Dorothy's trip report, I plan to drive up Moose-Wilson Road to look for Moose and bear. Then make the obligatory stop at Jenny Lake and show that to my son. Then head up around Pacific Creek Road and Pilgrim Creek Road. That's probably about all we'll have time for in GTNP.