Mike Enzi op-ed on raising NP entrance fees

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

mdtrot

Mike Enzi op-ed on raising NP entrance fees

Post by mdtrot »

Just saw this. He wants foreign visitor fees increased, and also suggests raising US citizen park user fees by $5. It has been pointed out that foreign visitors are comprising a greater and greater portion of park visitors, yet they do not pay US taxes, some of which go to support the parks, so it is only fair that they pay higher entry fees. What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.enzi.senate.gov/public/inde ... AAE4ED0BA1

RikWriter

Re: Mike Enzi op-ed on raising NP entrance fees

Post by RikWriter »

I agree with raising the fee for foreign visitors, and I'd particularly like to see a HUGE rate increase for bus tours. If tour buses are going to be allowed into the park, they need to have some big-ass fines leveed on them for stopping ANYWHERE except pullouts big enough to accept them. I have seen too many of the damned things stop in the middle of the road and let off a spray of idiots with cell phones looking to get selfie with an elk or a bison or, God forbid, a bear.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

RikWriter wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:13 pm
I agree with raising the fee for foreign visitors, and I'd particularly like to see a HUGE rate increase for bus tours. If tour buses are going to be allowed into the park, they need to have some big-ass fines leveed on them for stopping ANYWHERE except pullouts big enough to accept them. I have seen too many of the damned things stop in the middle of the road and let off a spray of idiots with cell phones looking to get selfie with an elk or a bison or, God forbid, a bear.
Yup.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Absolutely! Raise the fees for the foreign tourists. Our taxes help subsidize the parks so its only fair that they pay higher fees than we do. When I go to Canadian parks, I don't mind paying a higher fee for the same reason.

Also, with so many of the parks getting overcrowded, it may be a way to keep the revenue up, but preserve the natural wilderness aspect of some of these parks. We lived an hour from Rocky Mountain and it was so crowded at times, it just was not enjoyable. Even many of the back country trails were overcrowded. You drive miles over rough roads only to find the parking lots full. So, yes, increase the foreign visitor fees.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

I also agree to raise the International tourist fees. When I visit the South African National Parks I pay 4.5 times the entry fee of a South African national and don't mind at all knowing I am helping these Parks survive for future generations.

In addition to raising fees how about some camera traps for speeders. This past weekend I saw the majority of tourists driving way over the speed limit and the majority of plates were Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, California,Texas and Colorado. Why is everyone in such a hurry, you cannot spot the wildlife going 60+mph.

John

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

HatchAdventures wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm
I also agree to raise the International tourist fees. When I visit the South African National Parks I pay 4.5 times the entry fee of a South African national and don't mind at all knowing I am helping these Parks survive for future generations.

In addition to raising fees how about some camera traps for speeders. This past weekend I saw the majority of tourists driving way over the speed limit and the majority of plates were Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, California,Texas and Colorado. Why is everyone in such a hurry, you cannot spot the wildlife going 60+mph.

John
Yes, I've found that at any higher than ~30 mph, I don't seem to be able to find much of any wildlife.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

HatchAdventures wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm

John
No on camera traps. Too Big-Brother like.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hate the traps also but I'm not sure how else you can slow people down without Rangers and radar guns. I will never understand the need for speed in a place like Yellowstone.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

HatchAdventures wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm
[/quote]

I hate the traps also but I'm not sure how else you can slow people down without Rangers and radar guns. I will never understand the need for speed in a place like Yellowstone.
[/quote]

Then get rangers with radar guns.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Just a bit late to the discussion, but I've been screaming about this for years. Now I suspect this may be the only issue Mike and I would (would have, he's now deceased) agree on, but emphatically yes. I'm not against our international visitors, (and I think of them as international, not foreign) actually I enjoy hearing the different tongues in the parks, but we US taxpayers are subsidizing them. Given that most are fairly affluent, I mean except for Canada and Mexico it's a long and expensive trip here, I'd charge them double and not give a Parks Pass as an option. US citizens only for base posted prices. I suspect it would be a modest additional expense on an expensive trip that wouldn't even be noticed when they got the CC bill at home.

Besides, vacation expenses don't count. :lol: I tell myself that every year on vacation when I overpay for whatever because I'm here now and want something.