March Trip to Southern Utah

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

HatchAdventures

March Trip to Southern Utah

Post by HatchAdventures »

The southwest has always been a very special place for me so my wife and I did a spring break trip down to Capitol Reef, San Rafael Swell and Goblin Valley. What a majestic area with stunning hikes and slot canyons!

ImageUtah 1-6284 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6197 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6060 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6055 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 2-073927 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6218 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6417 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6369 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6332 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6230 by john morris, on Flickr

ImageUtah 1-6147 by john morris, on Flickr

Dorothy

Re: March Trip to Southern Utah

Post by Dorothy »

What gorgeous photos! I love Southern Utah (after all, Utah is my home!) -- haven't been there for a few years now and it's about time to go back again. Goblin Valley is a particular favorite -- well, as are all the other places. Thanks for the beautiful reminder of my own beautiful state!

P.S. Hope you were careful in those slot canyons -- they are gorgeous but dangerous! Two young girls died a week or so ago in a slot canyon near Goblin Valley when an unexpected thunderstorm came up and filled the canyon. So sad.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Wow! Those photos definitely put Southern Utah on my agenda for some point in the future. Thanks for posting.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Lol, you went there at a great time! We made the mistake of visiting Arches NP one time in the summer and it was 95 degrees! So, we decided to head north. It was hot until we passed the Idaho border and then the temp dropped into the 70s and it was just wonderful.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

Dorothy-you are very lucky to have all those Parks nearby. We always made summer mountain bike trips to Moab so it was nice exploring a new areas. And yes the slot canyons command respect and attention to the weather. We had hiked Little Wildhorse Canyon where the 2 girls tragically died recently and I get a heavy heart thinking about them.

mdtrot- weather was beautiful but we did get shut out of Cathedral Valley and Escalante due to muddy roads. Such a beautiful area!

Karenandbill- you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the comments,
John

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Nice shots. I'm a little disappointed as I've crisscrossed that area quite a bit and you're showing me places I haven't seen. Or perhaps that's good too, I still have more to look for. But the area, "Southern Utah" or Utah's National Parks as I think of them, is stunning. Yellowstone, the granddaddy of the parks is my favorite, but I spend more time in the Utah parks. Obviously different as night and day, alpine mountain, with Geysers and the American Serengeti compared to some stunning desert parks is a study in contrasts, but both are worthy destinations. Nice photography though!