Wolves on Elk Refuge web cam?

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

mdtrot

Wolves on Elk Refuge web cam?

Post by mdtrot »

Looks like some wolves now on the Jackson Hole Elk Refuge web cam. I count at least five dogs wandering around in the snow. They are way off in the distance, so they are mostly silhouettes, but look like wolves to me. One of those horse drawn carriages just stopped by the dogs and people are taking pictures. How often are wolves seen in that Elk Refuge area?

Dubh

Re: Wolves on Elk Refuge web cam?

Post by Dubh »

Thanks for he heads up, theres definitely some sort of 'canine' lying down watching the elk. How am I meant to get to work now if I can't leave this cam! :D

Mike

Post by Mike »

Cache Creek Pack perhaps ? they are just east in the Gros Ventre

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Damn I wish I were there.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Looks like a couple of wolves now on the National Museum of Wildlife Art web cam, lower right of image.

Steve

Post by Steve »

I've been watching both cams fairly often. Seen wolves twice, coyotes numerous times AND I think we missed out on a lion yesterday. There was a kill kinda of behind and south of the wildlife museum. The cam operator was searching for a long time to find it. He kept the cam pointed at a small patch of brush and trees a lot of the time. I think he knew something, like the critter was bedded down for the day.

Arted

Post by Arted »

Yes, I just saw 5 (what I think were) wolves harassing the elk on the refuge. The herd was plastered against the fence by the buildings and the wolves were pacing back and forth in front of them. Earlier today I saw the entire herd running north with 3 bulls at the tail end in a defensive stance. Sure enough, a few minutes later two wolves trotted into the frame. It’s very hard to tell if they are wolves from that far away, but they are definitely canines, and I don’t think coyotes harass entire herds of elk.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

There is a wolf or coyote on the Elk Refuge webcam now. Well, it's now traveling out of the view.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Not sure what is going on, but there are a lot of critters running all around on the Elk Refuge web cam now.

Well, they moved the camera.

dbl4de3

Post by dbl4de3 »

Saw seven yesterday. I could not tell what they were so I called the Flat Creek Inn and the guy said they were coyotes.