Wolves on Elk Refuge web cam?

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

Re: Wolves on Elk Refuge web cam?

Post by Mike »

11:05 PDT

Looks like some kind of canine feeding on a carcass right in the center of the camera,you can see it yanking and pulling at something

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

There's a canine of some sort running just in front of those barns in the shot.

Well, it ran all the way across and out of the shot.

Mike

Post by Mike »

So when the camera is pointed at the barns there is a carcass about 2/3 of the way out to the grey barn,it is a coyote feeding on it and some eagles.The coyote will feed until a sleigh comes by,it runs off till the coast is clear and then returns to it.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

A whole BUNCH of canines running across the frame now, just above the fence line in the view.

So, about four of them moved to the right side of the frame and seemed to be possibly attacking something. Then, all of a sudden about 10 or more sprinted full speed back to the left and out of the frame. I'm thinking there is some turf war involved.

Mike

Post by Mike »

3 Canines out near the barns at 9:36 PDT look bigger than coyotes but can not tell if they are wolves or coyotes,elk remaining pretty calm for having dogs running around them so I am inclined to think that they are coyotes

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Mike wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am
3 Canines out near the barns at 9:36 PDT look bigger than coyotes but can not tell if they are wolves or coyotes,elk remaining pretty calm for having dogs running around them so I am inclined to think that they are coyotes
I'm thinking coyotes, since there are only two or three of them and they stand around a lot and stay separated from each other. It seems like wolves are more gregarious with each other and move with more purpose.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

I've been watching three dogs of some sort for the last five minutes. They've been in the upper right quadrant of the webcam view. It looks like they may be eating something there. Can't tell if they are wolves or coyotes. Looks like they've now moved out of view, but they may reappear.