Can't access this site from home

Having problems using the forum. Ask your questions here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS, Russ

RikWriter

Can't access this site from home

Post by RikWriter »

I can access the site at work or with any other internet, but not my home internet (Frontier FIOS). I was on the phone with tech support for an hour and basically the site times out for them at some third party routing point. There's probably nothing you guys can do, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

Bruce

Re: Can't access this site from home

Post by Bruce »

I have no idea why you cannot excess the forums from your home internet, and what specifically may be causing the time out with your ISP. I've never heard of this problem before, but will keep an ear out for possible other similar problems.

Owner, Yellowstone.Net
Personal website, brucegourley.com

Mike

Post by Mike »

Could be the ISP's DNS server, try this in your address bar 173.205.124.12

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Sorry you're having problems, Rik. Most likely, it's a Frontier problem! The company has had non-stop Fios Cable, billing and Internet problems across the country ever since it acquired Verizon. We had the same problem at our house in SoCal, as did most of our neighbors. It wasn't until Frontier relocated one of its senior management field employees to our 55+ community to trouble shoot residential problems, that our problems and those of our neighbors, got fixed. If you live in a community that has an HOA and your phone, Fios Cable TV and Internet service is included in your monthly HOA fee, then I urge you to file a complaint with your HOA. That's what I did. And that's when Frontier finally took some action (our HOA has 1500 members). It might be good to check with some of your neighbors to see if they're having Internet problems, too. Better yet, see if one of your neighbors will let you log into Y-Net on their computer so you can see if their computer has the same "timing out" problem. If it is, then file a complaint with your HOA. If you're a stand alone Frontier customer, then you may want to check with the city. Most cities have a department that handles consumer complaints.

In the meantime, you may want to 1) check the Frontier website to see what kind of problems Frontier is having in your local area. The problems are posted at the Frontier site and in some cases, the company has posted a "fix" to help alleviate some of the user problems. Personally, I don't think that Frontier was ever prepared or equipped to take over Verizon. As a result, it's been a nightmare for many Frontier customers around the country. Good luck and try to stay positive. If you can't get your problem solved, then you may want to consider switching to a different ISP. Most are well aware that Frontier is having problems, so many of the companies are offering some pretty good rates for Internet access and some excellent bundle rates for phone, cable TV and Internet.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Still can't access the site from home. I get it at work when I can.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems, Rik. Did some checking and you may want to read this article that I found in the Tampa Bay Times. Here's the link: https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... _167162355

I think it's time to get a new ISP.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

yellvet wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 pm
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems, Rik. Did some checking and you may want to read this article that I found in the Tampa Bay Times. Here's the link: https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... _167162355

I think it's time to get a new ISP.
You make it sound like there's much choice. There's Frontier FIOS (or whoever they wind up being run by) or the local cable company, which is also known for horrible reliability and poor customer service.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Rik, I truly empathize with your situation. We live in a fairly remote area of MT, and we didn't even have Internet access until around 2005. That was one year after a mining facility was built about 7 miles from our house at the base of the Beartooth Mountains. The company needed high speed Internet access. So our local phone company finally ran a line down the main county road that went up to the Mine. Then it ran a connecting line down our gravel road to hook up the local residents. I have never been an advocate of hard rock mining. But if the mine wasn't here, we'd probably have to find a satellite Internet provider or go back to the old 1200 baud ear muff" modem that we initially had in the 90's. It used to take me over 2 hours just to load one small photo on Flickr. :shock: DSL wasn't even available to us until just a few years ago.

Hopefully, whoever takes over Frontier in FL will have enough sense and the bucks to upgrade the existing lines and equipment in your area so you'll be able to get faster, more reliable Internet access and better customer service. It took Frontier about 2 years to get up to snuff in SoCal. If Spectrum (cable) or Hughes Net (satellite) offers Internet service your area, you may want to consider checking them out. Spectrum is the company that many of our neighbors in SoCal switched to when we were having so many problems with Frontier. Haven't heard any complaints from our SoCal neighnors about Spectrum. But we also haven't had many technical problems with Frontier since it relocated and assigned one of its senior field techs to our 55+ community to handle residential problems. But we've always had our share of billing problems. At one point, our account had a credit balance of over a thousand bucks. :shock: I knew that wouldn't last so we had to call Frontier several times to get our account straightened out. Frontier also had to replace a lot of the existing Verizon equipment in the residential areas because it was so old and wasn't compatible with the Frontier equipment and software. So I'm sure that doing the equipment upgrades must have been a huge investment for Frontier. That might be why you're still having Internet access problems at your house, Rik, and why Frontier wants to sell its Florida part of the business. The cost to replace the older equipment in FL might be too cost prohibitive for Frontier. The company has really been struggling ever since it took over Verizon. But at least things are finally beginning to settle down in SoCal. I know how frustrating it can be when you lose your Internet access. For folks who live in the MT Hinterland, everyone depends on the Internet for getting the latest news, evacuation notices and wildfire updates. In April, we lost our connection in Nye. After checking the router and all the connections, the problem wasn't with our local phone company but rather with a pesky field mouse that had decided to chew up our outside phone cable last winter so it could get into our house where it was nice and cozy. Never did find the mouse but I hope it got a tummy ache! Seriously, I hope that Frontier can fix your problem soon,Rik. I know how aggravating it must be for you. If you can't get up and running by mid October, let me know. I'd be happy to call the Frontier senior tech rep who lives in our community in SoCal. He's fairly high up on the ladder at Frontier. Maybe he can help or least get you to the right person at Frontier who can fix your problem.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Frontier didn't install a damn thing here in this part of Florida. All they did was buy out Verizon and then screw up what Verizon already had going.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Rik, I really didn't appreciate your last reply or the tone, especially, when I was trying to help you and was totally sympathetic to your situation. Here's my last suggestion and then I'll be on my way. You may want to check out the current stability of Frontier as a company, if you haven't already done so. Reportedly, Frontier has lost its CFO, thousands of customers across the country and is currently in a financial death spiral. Whatever you want to do to reconnect to the world, Rik, is totally up to you and I'll refrain from offering any more help, suggestions and/or words of encouragement. Best of luck to you!