Bear 399 has quadruplets!!!!

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

karenandbill

Bear 399 has quadruplets!!!!

Post by karenandbill »

The most famous bear in the world is apparently about to add to her legacy. The parks opened today and Karen and I went into the Tetons. We saw bear 399 (according to several there who seemed in the know) with quadruplet cubs. We only got a short look as they moved into the trees and no pictures, but had a decent view through binoculars for a couple of minutes. I will post more as I get a chance, but wanted to let Y-netters know.

12hoursfromhome

Re: Bear 399 has quadruplets!!!!

Post by 12hoursfromhome »

That is fantastic news. I will be in Grand Teton Saturday afternoon and will obviously keeping an eye out for them. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Doyle

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Wow! Thanks for the info and congrats on the sighting. That is just amazing -- 399 is an incredible bear.

We're hoping to be in Grand Teton next weekend, so hope she's still out with them. We're bringing a niece with us who has never been to either GT or Yellowstone and has never seen a bear, so even to hear that 399 is out and about, let alone with 4 little ones, is just mind-blowing. We'll watch for the big bear jam when we're there.

Just curious -- how crowded was it? I would assume that with a chance to actually get into the park, there was quite a crowd.

Again, thanks so much for the report and hope you get a chance to see her again.

HatchAdventures

Post by HatchAdventures »

That's awesome you saw 399 and her cubs! Any sign of 610? Can't wait till our Montana gates open June 1st.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

Dorothy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 pm
Just curious -- how crowded was it? I would assume that with a chance to actually get into the park, there was quite a crowd.
The first day was less crowded than I thought it would be. We only went into the Tetons and there were people but I would say fewer than typical for that time of year. We went back the second day and there were about 50 cars pulled off waiting for 399 to reappear (she apparently didn't show). Went on into Yellowstone from the South Entrance and there were only 2 cars in front of us. We drove the lower loop and traffic was fairly light.

karenandbill

Post by karenandbill »

HatchAdventures wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:16 am
Any sign of 610?
We saw what appeared to be Blondie with another bear (maybe sub-adult cub?) in the same area that we later saw 399 and her quads, But no 610. I did not see her last summer but heard she wandered quite a bit. Someone reported she got fed by tourists on Signal Mtn, but that could be false.